Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
    S
    S
    There is an adult section here. Barely used, but let's start! I posted there yesterday!

I struggle to find community where I'm not a mentor/leader and not having to constantly play politics to manage threats of malicious envy. I'm tired of dumbing down my vocabulary. I'm tried of random people - strangers - telling me I'm so "bright" and "smart". I'm tired of being judged for NOT having local friends.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by sanne
    There is an adult section here. Barely used, but let's start! I posted there yesterday!
    The gifted adult forum is here. smile

L
    L
    Ooh, I'll head right over there! Is it new? It was almost 2 years ago I was last here (though only briefly). smile

E
    E
    When I was young I had a long conversations with 2 other gifted students, one who attended a private school and another a public school. One was taught through his schooling and another via other gifted individuals to always hide their true everything in front of anyone outside their peer group. Both had been taught an extensive and elaborate system or neuro-languistics, vocabulary, dress style and so forth to look "average" projecting an IQ of no more than 100 and slightly outgoing yet oblivious.

I however had always found this questionable, and often objected to it at times which was met with much contempt. Sure it looks like a great tool for survival and an easy life, but basically advances 4 negatives: 1. Having to put on such an act drains you. If you have few or not friends it becomes an existential death. 2. It makes it harder for gifted people to find one another. 3. It can and does at times create elitist groups. 4, and perhaps the biggest peeve of mine: it yet again sets the limits on what society perceives. Suddenly no one ever sees anything over 105. A teacher who encounters 10 gifted students in 15 years all of which are hiding it will become very alarmed when student number 11 comes along being themselves. In my eyes it is a massive disservice aiding the dumbing down of society which is in itself a conspiracy. People understand what is common, not what looks like a freak oddity.

As you would guess, such views did not make me well liked.

K
    K
    I just rejoined when I read this post. WONDERFUL! Is it a gift or a curse? I am so frustrated with caregivers I end up yelling or sending subtle "you are an idiot" emails. Im 62 and disabled. I lived in NYC where the best of the best go, for 30 years. My doctors were very good. Now I live in a log cabin in the mountains (which I love) and I can't believe the incompetence here. I have been dysregulated and angry for a long time and my therapists don't get that I not only have a high IQ but many other issues that cause anger and frustration. My current therapist is very smart but she tells me not to research my diagnoses or medications and to stay out of forums. Ive had horrible, incurable dry mouth that rotted my teeth since 2010. I put my meds and side effects in excel and discovered 10 medications and all my OTC drugs cause dry mouth. 10 doctors didn't see that. I had a gifted/intuitive trauma therapist I loved and she died. I never felt invalidated or angry with her and though my current one is smart, she is so stubborn and dogmatic I leave in a rage. I did better when I self medicated.

I tried to get in Mensa but I'm a visual spatial learner and creatively gifted so I blundered the test. For years I had gifted friends I communicated with telepathically and now I'm too sick to get out much. I really enjoy this forum. I get the validation I need.

S
    S
    Hi Kit Kat! Disabled and intelligent is a tough one, isn't it?!! I am so "over" doctors. I had/have 12 misdiagnoses over 13 years, by 11 doctors. Unbelievable! I figured out my actual condition with my friend Google, and then medical testing verified my diagnosis was correct. Validating! But knowing more about the condition than the doctors is defeating!

I've also moved to a rural area. I physically can't keep up with social demands. Fortunately, I stumbled upon a neighbor family that is highly intelligent. I'm not well enough to see them often, but it's fuel for the soul to meet with similar people.

I am deeply frustrated that my condition comes with transient but chronic cerebral hypoperfusion/hypoxia, so I'm often cognitively impaired. I suppose the silver lining is the experience helps me relate to a wider range of people. But it prevents me from learning, reading heavy, and creating. Is there anything worst than being an extremely talented artist and being unable to master your craft?

I'm sorry you're struggling to get the therapy and treatments you need. It's very hard. (((Hugs)))

Last edited by sanne; 12/12/17 10:41 PM.
    I
    I
    KitKat and sanne... a new book which may be of interest:
    UNDOCTORED, by William Davis, MD. Copyright 2017.
    Here's a link to a post in the thread on books for adults.

Also possibly of interest: a healthcare pricing article
    How to provide patients the up-front price of treatment
    John Campanelli
    Journal of Medical Economics
    Nov 10, 2017
    This article's main audience is people within the healthcare industry. The article includes mention of the following websites as Online Pricing Resources, some of which are geared for patients:
    1) www.Amino.com
    2) www.healthcarebluebook.com
    3) www.MDsave.com
    4) www.medibid.com
    5) www.vitals.com

S
    S
    Thank you for the book suggestion @indigo! It looks interesting! The library system here has it! I've put in a request and will be impatiently waiting for it to arrive.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    In my case, the problem isn't the level of intelligence of those around me (I am in a pretty good profession for it and live in a neighborhood full of professionals). My issues are my voracious appetite for books (for me and for kiddos) and my weird thirst for learning (instruments, languages, cooking, science, history, etc. etc. etc.). I do tend to minimize that a bit just so that I won't appear too odd to those around me and I share with those who share the same passions.

I have found a pretty cool website - Your Rainforest Mind by Paula Prober. It really appeals to me. You might want to check it out.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM