Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I wonder if anyone else has ever had this experience - I'm starting to feel like I have a sixth sense about identifying gifted kids. It's getting kind of ridiculous. In observing other kids, sometimes only for five minutes, I've asked their parents if their child was gifted, and I haven't been wrong yet. It has now happened 5 times. This evening, I asked the mother of a new friend of DS6 if her son is gifted, and she said that they haven't had him tested yet but they've had strong suspicions since he was two years old. I'm so happy that they're becoming friends, because they're so alike!

Are they so easy to identify? And if so, how is it that teachers miss them so frequently? I have an utter fascination with these kids, so maybe I'm looking for it. Dunno, but I find it all so interesting.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I and both my parents all do so rather frequently, but my parents raised multiple HG+ offspring, and I assess professionally...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    I think the issue is that teachers often believe that high IQ means high school performance and/or that all gifted kids have to be social misfits. Kids that aren't whizzing through the assigned worksheets with ease and enthusiasm can't possibly be gifted. Kids that are able to blend in with their peers socially probably aren't gifted because they aren't geeky/weird/whatever enough.

I'm pretty good at picking out kids like DS who scream gifted from their core but I still managed to be a bit blindsided when we got DD's scores. I'm also a lot more timid after being pretty far off on one kid, I still think he's 2e but recent testing says otherwise. The parents are in total denial about the LD's and commenting that I suspect the WISC scores were an underestimate isn't going to improve anything. Guess I just need to accept that I'm not perfect wink

J
    J
    chay, I think you're absolutely right about teachers looking for a child that fits academically into that mold. I often wonder if my daughter would have been identified earlier if she had a gifted education teacher for a homeroom teacher like she did last year. I'm still chomping at the bit about whether or not my DS is 2e but he flies between acting like a 2 year old and coming out with things astonishingly mature so often I can't tell!

C
    C
    And leaders. They have to have leadership skills. Not so true.

I used to teach children with ASD before kids and then I have a child with ASD. I feel like I can spot ASD a mile away. Gifted not as much.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I seem to be able to do this too. And I can do something similar with homeschooled kids.

I
    I
    After a few consultations with lists of gifted behaviors and characteristics, observant individuals can often spot certain "tells"... which hopefully would lead to testing to confirm giftedness.

While many people may be quite good at unofficially recognizing signs of giftedness, it takes an experienced professional to tease out characteristics that may mask giftedness, or learning disabilities which may make a student twice-exceptional... such as ADD/ADHD and/or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

When unofficially recognizing gifted children by their traits, one may also wish to be cognizant of "false negatives"... the children who are gifted but not recognized as such by a casual observer.

Here's a roundup of lists of behavioral characteristics:
    - Characteristics of intellectually advanced young people
    - NAGC's list borrowed from the book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children,
    ((The first item on the NAGC list of Common Characteristics of Gifted Individuals is: Unusual alertness, even in infancy)).
    - Characteristics and Behaviors of the Gifted
    - Characteristics checklist for gifted children (Austega list, from WayBack Machine, internet archive)
    -Tips for Parents: Helping Parents Understand Their Profoundly Gifted Children
    - Profiles of the gifted and talented which lists 6 different types, categorized by personality/temperament and achievement.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I recognize that I'm a total dilettante when it comes to this, but I just find GC so fascinating.

And ultimately, the first hint for me is usually a certain special "otherness" to these kids - how a first grader enthusiastically discusses the digestive system, or a kindergartener who wants to devour a non-fiction book for middle grade kids, or a 4 or 5 year old child whose drawings of a ship also include solar panels and satellites and a supply of food, or a 4 year old who corrects your grammar, and so forth.

Of course, these are just wild guesses and they are meant for nothing more than my own personal amusement. The most I would do is ask the parent if they have questioned whether giftedness might be a possibility. So far, the children have all been identified already or will be tested in the near future.

I just think it's unusual. It seems to me that teachers could easily identify potential candidates for testing if they were a bit more attuned to the child as opposed to only considering the child's results in school.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by RRD
    I recognize that I'm a total dilettante when it comes to this, but I just find GC so fascinating.
    Yes, it is fascinating... have you seen some of the brain research?

It seems to me that teachers could easily identify potential candidates for testing if they were a bit more attuned to the child as opposed to only considering the child's results in school.
    Seeing the child in context... it gets complicated... for example...

"how a first grader enthusiastically discusses the digestive system"... unless that gifted child comes from a home with parents who did not complete school (often due to an undiagnosed LD), and may know nothing of nutrition or digestion and therefore be unable to answer their child's many questions... in which case the gifted child may not have acquired the knowledge base to speak on this topic.

"a kindergartener who wants to devour a non-fiction book for middle grade kids"... unless that gifted child comes from a home where books are not often read, and trip to the library is not a familiar event... in which case the gifted child may seek a pastime other than reading.

"a 4 or 5 year old child whose drawings of a ship also include solar panels and satellites and a supply of food"... unless that gifted child does not have paper available to draw on, has not been on trips to the grocery store, seen a well-stocked pantry or a full refrigerator... in which case the child may build "ships" or other imaginary play spaces from objects found around the home such as blankets and pillows.

"or a 4 year old who corrects your grammar"... unless the parents speak only a language other than English (for example: other World Language, broken English, Eubonics, or slang) so the child is not exposed to a large vocabulary, usage, or nuance... in which case the child may believe you are talking high-falutin to be intimidating or prevent him/her from understanding something.

This is another dilemma of screening or identification by observation: children do not necessarily have commonality of experience, therefore may present their gifted/advanced brain differently. The work of Ruby K. Payne includes identification of children in poverty. It is possible that children from families with middle-class financial resources may be similarly "deprived"... if parental attention must be focused on a particular sibling, on a parent's career, or an unstable parental relationship (such as illness, death, divorce, etc).

A gifted child from a deprived background may have a lot of catching up to do, in order to develop a similar knowledge base as compared with that of his/her classmates. As that child's background may include continued deprivation, that child's achievements may look quite different than other gifted children from families having greater finances and/or more parental support/encouragement. When these factors are not fully considered, level of gifted (LOG) may be conflated with socioeconomic status (SES).

ETA: That reminds me of an old post.

C
    C
    I agree that all of that is a huge issue but I think what RRD is getting at is that teachers aren't even identifying the ones that are doing those things. Given that, there is no hope that they are going to figure out the less obvious ones that you bring up.

In our limited experience the teachers were the last ones to figure it out. We had several hockey coaches and other parents make comments but never a teacher. I had kids come up to me and tell me all about how smart DS was. Meanwhile the teachers complained about him constantly and he had barely passing marks. We had MANY discussions with them about his behavior but the g word was never brought up. They pushed for us to test for ADHD and looked STUNNED when we brought back a 14 page psych report with gifted/LD instead. This is a kid that grocery store clerks have commented on. You can't find it if you don't look and in the schools we've dealt with so far this isn't on their radar.

Last edited by chay; 09/07/16 12:05 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM