Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    sanne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm untested but identify as high ability / high IQ / gifted. I have long history of mood related diagnoses. And current ADHD diagnosis.

I recently noted a link between my eating habits and my mood diagnoses. I started eating every 2 hours and haven't had mood / anxiety / severe cognitive problems .... unless I miss a snack. If I get to 3 hours without eating, my day goes to heck. If I wake up late, I've already crashed and angry, moody, depressed. I had been on stimulant medication for ADHD, but the appetite suppression became anorexia and then whatever mood issue it is became severe. (medication discontinued until sorting out the food/mood problem)

I've spent a lot of time wandering on scholar.google.com and I have more questions than answers! I have some medical and pscyhiatric appointments coming up to (hopefully) rule out anything severe/progressive, and clarify some disordered eating /food / mood relationships.

My question is if any adults here experience Postprandial syndrome or reactive hypoglycemia? And would be willing to share their experiences?

Last edited by sanne; 08/23/16 06:23 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I don't, but I have multiple extended family members who do. One is probably hypomanic (on the bipolar spectrum). All of them are high ability, and pretty much manage it as you have, by eating every 2 hours and going to bed early. Some of their partners also carry nutrient-dense snacks with them.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    sanne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I was being evaluated for possible eating disorder, then had a really bad crash and ended up hospitalized. Was diagnosed with bipolar disorder by a psychiatrist who saw me for a couple minutes and didn't take my history. That label just followed down the line. My therapist of 3 years recognized the ADHD and vehemently opposes the bipolar disorder diagnosis.

At the time of my crash / hospitalization, I was in college (as an adult) in a really tough semester, coming up on exams, and struggling with reading comprehension. I was using caffeine to help me study, wasn't eating, wasn't sleeping enough. Of course, major suicidal crash.

I didn't connect the dots until I had identical crash (minus hospital) from not eating while on stimulant medication. I was literally starving - maxing out at 700 calories per day for 4 months, lost 30#, severe food aversions, nausea, bradycardia, extreme fatigue, low blood pressure, falling almost every day - like skinning my knees on the carpet and even falling down the stairs. But anyway, the plummet into suicidality which would resolve about 15 minutes after eating got the attention of my "support group", and we started talking. I started noticing patterns.

My "depressive episodes" were periods of under nutrition.
    My "mood swings" we're periods of binge/starve.
    I had 3 years free of mood symptoms ... only 3 years of my life when I didn't have disordered eating.

My family has figured out to feed me. 😍 But I didn't notice exactly how often I needed to eat! My husband would tell me I'm irritable most of the time. My recent conversations prompted me to chart out food and mood patterns. Shocking! I'm pretty much fine (mild ADHD) for 1.75 - 2 hours after eating. If I go past 2 hours I'm irritable. If I get to 3 hours, I'm emotionally reactive, anxious, severe ADHD symptoms.

I don't really have much in the way of physical effects, so I suspect it's more Postprandial syndrome rather than reactive hypoglycemia. Also noting it could be hyperglycemia - not in the sense of high fasting blood sugar, but spiking way high after eating and then crashing below normal.

I have psych appointment tomorrow for "second opinion" to clear up the bipolar disorder misdiagnosis, then move on to my medical appointments. Hoping for an answer!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Glad to hear you've been doing better in recent years. Hoping for some good outcomes and recommendations for you from your upcoming appointments.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    sanne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm having trouble getting my medical records, but appears that I was diagnosed with an eating disorder. With referrals for labs, therapy, and nutrition services. 🙄

I
    I
    It sounds as though they may plan to help you improve your nutritional condition, thereby isolating/removing nutritional impacts, then re-evaluate. It may be like peeling an onion, as more than one thing may be having an impact.

It sounds like a good start. Wishing you all the best.

BTW, the connection between eating and disposition has been discussed in multiple threads over the years. Here is a recent summary of the acronym HALT, and a few other related words.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM