Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Reading at 3 may be hyperlexia - or may not. Most kids who read at 3 will be at least MG - but not all gifted kids read early. I have 2 HG+ kids and neither did although ds9 could read a little at 4.5 and i really thought ds7 was going to at 3.5 but he changed focus.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    His school was mostly about outside time, playing with other kids, and had almost no formal 'school' time. Which is what I think preschool needs to be for ALL kids. It honestly worked out great.

bluemagic, I'm afraid things have changed quite a bit in the last decade, at least where we live. These days, if you come to kindergarten not knowing all the letters and reading simple books, you are considered "remedial" so most preschools teach reading and writing. Parents joke that preschool is the new first grade. It's certainly is the new kindergarten.

L
    L
    Not sure if I should post this here or start another thread, but I was hoping for different sort of advice. I taught my 3 yo the sounds of the letters a while back, and now she can decode simple phonetic words and read simple readers, but I have no idea where to start on all the non-phonetic stuff, like combinations of letters, combinations of vowels, or how the vowel sound changes with words that end in E, and all that stuff.

If anyone can recommend any resources, books, programs, etc., would be great!

Last edited by LazyMum; 10/13/16 12:15 PM.
    T
    T
    I really liked the preschool prep videos. They teach blend digraphs you just mentioned. My son watched them a few times when he was four. And he seems to never need more than that to decode.

There are also books. Hooked on phonics, or Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons etc. I never used them and cannot comment on them, but I have heard about them a lot.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I usually suggest All About Reading: http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/all-about-reading/

The pre-reading level has a cute little zebra handpuppet, which you may purchase separately from the kit to use with higher levels. You can work through the curriculum at as quick or as leisurely a pace as you and your DC like, in small daily bursts.

Logic of English also presents all of the phonemes in a systematic sequence, but is, I think, more "school-y".

Lots of people have suggested ReadingEggs here.

Lexia (Rosetta Stone) is an adaptive program that teaches all phonics skills through the fifth grade level. Probably better for slightly older kids, who can sit through the exercises.

What I actually did with most of mine (except for the dyslexic-ish one, who also got All About Spelling) is sit with them, reading the words they didn't know aloud, and letting them insert the words they could decode. When we encountered words that seemed like they might be only a small stretch, I let them make an attempt on sounding out the straightforward parts, and filled in the other parts for them, accompanied by a one-line comment about the phoneme/grapheme connection. E.g. for "with", child reads /w/-/ih/, and I add "T-H, /th/", then cue blending /w/-/ih/-/th/--"with".

If you don't personally have a good grasp on the specific phoneme/grapheme combinations, you could still use this approach, but you might want to peruse a reference chart, like this one:
    http://www.dyslexia-reading-well.com/support-files/the-44-phonemes-of-english.pdf

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    L
    Thanks everyone. I also got some advice and recommendations for resources/programs from some primary school teachers I know. Between them and you, I have a lot of leads smile I'll start looking at all the links and suggestions and find something that feels right for us (and not too 'school-y'!).

Originally Posted by LazyMum
    Not sure if I should post this here or start another thread, but I was hoping for different sort of advice. I taught my 3 yo the sounds of the letters a while back, and now she can decode simple phonetic words and read simple readers, but I have no idea where to start on all the non-phonetic stuff, like combinations of letters, combinations of vowels, or how the vowel sound changes with words that end in E, and all that stuff.

If anyone can recommend any resources, books, programs, etc., would be great!

English is complicated. My boys' school uses Jolly Phonics, which puts the "silent E" discussion at a later point than in the US, and starts with the common combos "ai" "ee" "igh" "oa" "ue". It's great for slightly older kids, because it immediately gives you tools to write any word phonetically.

Hooked on Phonics, which we got secondhand and only used for the reading books, does the basic alphabet, followed by blends (tr/bl/nd/lk and limited digraphs ch/sh/th), and saves long vowels for very late in the program, which means that it takes a long time to get to real books.

My favorite resource for moving kids from simple, short vowels to real books is Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. All about Reading is also going to do the same, as is Logic of English, but Teach Your Child is by far the cheapest and simplest. I also can't say how quickly AAR or LoE get your child to real books. TYCTR took both boys about six months to finish, including breaks and pacing, and they went from simple sound-outs to reading Elephant and Piggie books and other easy readers. After that, they just read books to improve decoding skills and vocabulary. TYCTR seems to be a love-it or hate-it program, but I think it's a great method.

Of course, reading out loud could get you there as well. Kids pick up patterns and learn words as you point them. My older boy learned to read in his weaker language solely from being read to; he had no instruction in phonemes in this language.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM