Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #233061 08/22/16 10:34 AM
    J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi all. I've looked through a lot of the posts on here the last couple of days and I'm wondering if I'm even crazy for even wondering if DS may be gifted in any way, but I know it's not uncommon for both siblings. Anyhow, a little background...

DD (who is now 10) was obviously advanced from birth - alert, needed little sleep, curious, etc. She was accepted onto the local school's gifted program last year. I do not know her test results, IQ, etc. as it was done through the school, however I have requested a copy of them. DS (just turned 8) had just turned 6 when we had him evaluated because he wasn't doing well at school. We thought he had dyslexia like my husband (who I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is gifted, he is exceptionally smart) and were surprised when he was diagnosed with ADHD, Overanxious Disorder of Childhood, Dysgraphia and "possible" ASD (due to his excessive emotions and need for routine only). On the WISC-IV, he scored in the High Average and Very Superior range in similarities and matrix reasoning (both involving abstract thought) so I'm wondering if he is gifted in one area but it was missed because of variation in scores? I may of course be talking out of the back of my head. I'm still proud of him whether he's gifted or not but would kick myself if it turned out later that he is and I didn't take the opportunity to nurture it. Anyway, enough talk, here are his WISC-IV, WRAT-4 and Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Achievement III. Please advise if I am seeing something that isn't there:

WISC-IV
    VCI - Standard Score 108 (70th %)
    Similarities 12
    Vocabulary 11
    Comprehension 12

PRI - Standard Score 121 (92nd %)
    Block Design 10
    Picture Concepts 13
    Matrix Reasoning 17

WMI Standard Score 94 (34th %)
    Digit Span 9
    Letter-Number Sequencing 9

PSI Standard Score 103 (58th %)
    Coding 9
    Symbol Search 12

FSIQ 110

WRAT-4

Word Reading 128 (97th %)
    Sentence Comprehension 134 (99th %)
    Spelling 113 (81st %)
    Math Computation 124 (95th %)

Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Achievement III

Broad Reading Standard Score 127 (92nd %)
    Letter Word Identification 126 (96th %)
    Passage Comprehension 126 (96th %)
    Reading Fluency 127 (85th %)

Broad Written Language Standard Score 126 (96th %)
    Spelling 117 (88th %)
    Writing Samples 127 (92nd %)
    Writing Fluency 117 (88th %)

Broad Math Standard Score 126 (96th %)
    Calculation 128 (97th %)
    Applied Problems 122 (93rd %)
    Math Fluency 106 (66th %)

So, thoughts? Should I have him retested?

Thanks so much!

P
    P
    Was he medicated for ADHD when he did the WISC? His WM and PS may have improved if he wasn't then but is now. Have you noticed improvement?

J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi there! Thank you for the reply! smile No, we don't medicate at all, then or now. He has, however, been under a Section 504 at school and has a fantastic teacher who specializes in kids with ADHD and he has come on leaps and bounds academically since (but nothing like at the level of his sister).

There's probably nothing there, he's smart but not gifted. I appreciate your response!

C
    C
    Testing is a small snapshot of a given day. Kids are more complex than what is captured with testing and can change over time. Gifted or not, all kids should be nurtured and challenged at the appropriate level.

If the test scores don't match what you're seeing in real life AND it is possible financially AND there are doors that retesting could open it might be something to consider. If the scores seem about right and school is working reasonably well and/or scores won't open any doors then I'd think seriously about what would be changed.

Testing a 6 year old is challenging, throw in some E's and it is even more challenging to get an accurate score. I would also add that smart kids can be VERY good at hiding their dyslexia so I wouldn't necessarily rule out the possibility unless you've gone through more extensive testing with a very experienced tester. (I'm assuming that all of your results were from age 6 where reading expectations aren't that high for a smart kid).

We tested our 2e DS (now 10) twice because he wasn't the most cooperative at 6.5 and at that point they said he was probably LD but they'd have to wait a couple years to be sure. The second set of results was very different and more closely matches our experiences with him. I would also caution against the assumption that all gifted kids look like x based on experience with a sibling. We REALLY underestimated DD (now 7) because in many ways she is nothing like DS.

J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    chay, thank you so much for your response, it has really opened my eyes! This is very much along the lines I was thinking but of course DH thinks I'm reading too much into everything and comparing the kids too much. I think it's worth having him tested again, particularly as our out of pocket maximum has been reached on our insurance so it will cost us nothing. There's no harm right?

I'm actually wondering if DD is dyslexic at the moment. I've just noticed that she spells certain words wrong consistently (that weren't caught by the teacher) yet excels in reading and language. DH says no because she would be doing X, Y, Z and spelling X, Y, Z wrong like him. I told him that I've read that no two dyslexic people have exactly the same issues and yes, I have heard of stealth dyslexia in gifted children!

Now to persuade DH to get them tested....

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Major caveats first (in addition to the obvious caveat that we don't have access to rich clinical observational or historical data):

1. He was young at time of testing, which has all sorts of implications for instability in test scores.
    2. He was tested with untreated ADHD and anxiety, both of which tend to lower working memory and processing speed performance in particular, but can affect pretty much any test score.

That being said, I find notable:

1. Index score diversity: PRI, in the Superior range, is a fair bit higher than any of the others, which are all in the Average range.

2. Scaled score diversity: PRI has a 2.3 SD range, with the lowest score in the timed/motor/spatial task, and the highest score in the untimed/motor-free/fluid reasoning task. Less significant, but still of interest, PSI has a related split, with the motor-reduced task 1 SD above the motor-involved task.

1 & 2 taken together suggest to me that it is possible there is some kind of nonverbal giftedness in play, probably in combination with a language-based relative weakness, and perhaps motor coordination. Hence Dx of dysgraphia.

Moving on.

3. Generally strong academic performance: On the plus side, at age 6, appeared to be performing academically at a level consistent with the highest estimate of his cognitive ability, with exceptions (Average and High Average) in spelling, writing fluency, and math fluency, which are exactly the areas predicted by dysgraphia. Kudos to your evaluator. On the minus side, there were no measures that would identify deficits in phonetic decoding (dyslexia), only reading tasks that are amenable to whole-word reading as a compensatory strategy--well within the range for a bright child in a rich literacy environment, even one outside the GT range. (Keep in mind the word-level reading expected of children at the end of kindergarten pretty much consists of 50-150 Dolch sight words, and a few very simple decodables, like CVC words.)

If word-level reading deficits are in play, either in naked decoding, or in decoding fluency, these data are insufficient to rule them in or out. In my experience, it is not unusual for bright children with reading difficulties to start struggling during third or fourth grade, as their peers acquire fluency, and start obtaining an increasing percentage of their high-level language exposure from text, while the struggling readers are restricted to oral language.

As parents of a student on a 504 plan, you generally have a right to request a re-evaluation every two years (schools not uncommonly offer re-evaluations every three years), just like for IEPs. If you, he, and the school are all happy with his academic and global progress, then there is no particular urgency to re-evaluate him; good reasons might include access to additional supports, services, or resources (either for remediation or advancement).

If, at some point, you do choose to re-evaluate, another item that may have relevance for your child in particular is the revision of the WISC-V to a 5 factor structure, that separates the visual spatial tasks (e.g., block design, his lowest PRI score) from the fluid reasoning tasks (e.g., matrix reasoning, his highest score), potentially allowing the FRI (Fluid Reasoning Index) to rise above 130, into the formal GT range.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for your indepth response aeh, much appreciated. Yes,the big difference in the PRI compared to the others is what got me thinking. Also, he is very curious and goes indepth when talking about things he's interested in. He also worries excessively about things he shouldn't be worried about. Case in point - shortly before we had him tested and he started having issues with remembering things he would worry incessantly and say things like "momma, what if I can't remember things for work when I'm older?". I don't care who you are, no 6 year old should be worrying about that yet!

We have parent/teacher conferences coming up in the next couple of weeks so I'm going to broach the subject with his teacher and see what her input is.

Incidentally, I got my daughter's test results for her eligibility to the gifted program and I gotta say I was a little disappointed knowing what her actual ability is:

Mental Ability � CoGAT � (Cognitive Abilities Test) �
    Verbal � 71%
    Quantitative � 88%
    Nonverbal � 84 %
    Composite � 84%

Achievement � MAP � Reading � 91%

Creativity � Torrance � 92%

Motivation � Gifted Rating Scales � 98%

No intelligence test, is that normal? I always assumed they had to have a certain level of IQ to get in?

Q
    Q
    Not an expert here but what struck me is how close your two kids are in terms of both IQ/ability and achievement scores. Your DS scored 92nd percentile on Woodcock Johnson Broad Reading while your DD scored 92nd percentile on MAP Reading. The CoGAT is an ability test that is used as an IQ proxy and if you compare your DD's scores to your DS' IQ scores for VC and PRI and GAI (full scale IQ substitute discounting WM and PS), they are very close with your DS's scores slightly higher. Of course, no two tests are perfectly correlated but they appear to be in the same ball park.

Anyhow, your DS is clearly strong in perceptual reasoning and very strong in matrix reasoning so he will likely excel in higher level math down the road and likely included in GT math classes since many districts don't require a hard 130 IQ cutoff.

J
    Jeeves Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi Quantum2003,thanks for your reply. It's funny you say that because in the 1st and 2nd grades their grades were almost identical across the board, with DD being slightly ahead on reading and DS being slightly ahead on math. Now, DD does have slightly higher grades (I'm talking 99% compared to DS' 96%), however, her percentiles in MAP tests hae always been up in the 90's and DS's were not. This is apparently what they look at to determine possible eligibility initially.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    If MAP scores are the first screen for program eligibility, then it makes sense that they don't include a true cognitive measure; the program may be more of an academically-advanced program than a pure GT program. Obviously still to her credit that your DD qualified for it. Even more to her credit is her exceptionally high motivation rating on the GRS.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM