Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #232989 08/19/16 06:47 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    We just left a Waldorf school. One known to be one of the best. We moved our family across the country, because we love the philosophy of Waldorf. Unfortunately, gifted children DO NOT belong in Waldorf schools. My child told the teacher he was bored 2 years ago. He said he would find ways to challenge him. That never happened. My child always made fun of the system. Still does. The teacher told us he was doing well, and happy. We should have left then. Each year got worse. Waldorf schools have 25-33 children. They all move together. I don't care what they tell you on the tour. The reality is they don't recognize gifted at all. My child said that he had to wait until the 32nd child in the class understood the math before they could move up. Yes, the knitting was great, but gifted kids need a challenge younger. It was not a good experience academically for us at all.

D
    D
    I see Waldorf and Gifted in the same sentence and kind of freak out. Everything I have heard has been similar to your experience.
    frown

E
    E
    I agree - about the only positive thing I have heard about Waldorf schools and gifted kids is that Waldorf preschools do a pretty good job of providing a play-based curriculum for these kids.

M
    M
    I will add that Waldorf kindergarten is wonderful with all of its story-telling, art, cooking, outdoor play and crafts that teach hand-eye coordination. As long as you supplement where your child desires more learning. But my experience is that gifted kids will wilt on the vine from first grade on. Like the OP, we left a Waldorf-inspired charter school after two years of listening to the teacher say that she would challenge dd but absolutely never did anything.

MomC #232997 08/19/16 11:14 AM
    Val Offline
    FYI: there was a long thread on Waldorf schools at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015: Waldorf thread.

Val #233006 08/19/16 03:05 PM
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by Val
    FYI: there was a long thread on Waldorf schools at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015: Waldorf thread.

Wow,I just read that old thread. It was enormously entertaining, and fairly creepy. I knew the system emphasized nature and their own view of child development, but had no idea about the stranger ideological underpinnings.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM