Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline
    2012 neuropsych DS15 diagnosed with mixed-receptive language disorder and slow processing speed. DS had 50 points of scatter. District classifies DS as speech and language impaired. Last year DS was eligible for extended time, speech therapy, counseling, third-language exemption, preferential seating, and "tablet with keyboard containing word processing, voice recognition, organizing software, digital recording applications to enable the student to take and organize notes as well as write short and extended responses," but DS did not receive them, except for in-classroom tablet last year. Exh withheld IEP and didn't request services or accommodations out of fear they DS would lose financial aid. (high-performing, double-curriculum, private high school does provide these accommodations to others so it is not really an issue especially if the student has an IEP or 504 from their home district.) Now that I have been allowed to be more active with my DS school I am trying to get accommodations and IEP review in place for the coming school year.

District is now saying since DS received A's and B's without accommodations and related services they believe he does not need them and want to declassify him rather than renew. However, he currently has an incomplete in one subject, because he did not hand in a paper. The rough draft has been submitted, awaiting on-summer-vacation teacher to review and then DS will need to submit final paper while starting 10th grade. I think his language disorder made it difficult for DS to get his thoughts on paper. District said DS did not hand it in, because he did not want to and he's capable. FWIW, I did not know about the non-turned in paper until right before finals and DS had permission to hand in paper late.

DS has requested extended time, since he feels he is at a disadvantage and under pressure without it. Not to mention, over the top anxiety during finals. DS receives points off for illegible handwriting and often misinterprets test questions. I suspect undiagnosed specific learning disability that ds has been able to compensate for, until now.

I am hoping to get neuro-psych re-eval this fall. What arguments have others used in this situation to keep their DS' IEP or 504's in place? Test results are far more scattered than are reflected in grades. DS had to be dropped from honor-track in other curriculum because he could not manage. TIA.

EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think I found the answer. It is all in the BOE v Rowley case and the catch phrase is "educational benefit".

Time to curl up and read.

P
    P
    Hi Emma,

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this now, but I also see it as something somewhat predictable - at least it would be in our district. I felt like there was always an undercurrent of attempting to reduce services whenever possible, and I have enough friends working as teachers and SLPs/OTs/etc in our district to realized that a large part of this push is simply because the district lacks resources in terms of staff and $ to meet the needs of all students who really should be receiving services. I wanted to put that out there just for you to have in mind - if that's the case in your district, you'll have to advocate but it doesn't mean you're up against a wall that can't be worked through. Try to focus on the specifics of your ds' needs, the proof of those needs through diagnosis, and develop your advocacy arguments around the specific points of what is legal as well as what is district policy. I feel kinda silly saying this to you, because I think you're already there smile .... but included it partly for other parents who might be reading.

Some of my answers below might be a bit scattered and random - please ask if you have any questions about them smile

Originally Posted by EmmaL
    Last year DS was eligible for extended time, speech therapy, counseling, third-language exemption, preferential seating, and "tablet with keyboard containing word processing, voice recognition, organizing software, digital recording applications to enable the student to take and organize notes as well as write short and extended responses," but DS did not receive them, except for in-classroom tablet last year. Exh withheld IEP and didn't request services or accommodations out of fear they DS would lose financial aid.

Did ds use any of his accommodations? Start by listing what he did use in the classroom, including specifics of how he used the laptop (for what type of assignments/tasks, how often, what software, did other students use laptops for the same purpose etc). Also make a list (if you can) of anything that was a struggle or difficult due to not using accommodations. I'd sit down with ds and go over this point-by-point. What did he use, how did he use it, how did it work out, what would he like to be able to use this year (for what, and why).

I would also ask last year's school to put a list of the accommodations ds was granted and used in a note on school letterhead. We have this from our ds' private school and use it as proof he was using accommodations while at private school, even though he didn't have an official 504 or IEP in place (like your ds' situation, we didn't need the paperwork at the private school because the school was willing to provide the accommodations).

Now that I have been allowed to be more active with my DS school I am trying to get accommodations and IEP review in place for the coming school year.

What I understand so far is, your exh didn't request that the IEP be enforced at last year's school, the original IEP was put in place in 2012, but would still be in place until a review is completed. You've had a meeting earlier this summer - I can't remember if that was technically an IEP update/review? Was any decision made to re-evaluate your ds' eligibility? I think that if the school is saying he should be declassified or services somehow reduced, that can either happen with parental permission *or* after an evaluation (similar to IEP eligibility evaluation) takes place to determine if the services/accommodations are no longer needed. Has the school done that evaluation yet (current academic functioning... should include ability vs achievement, SLP eval, any other relevant testing/evals).

District is now saying since DS received A's and B's without accommodations and related services they believe he does not need them and want to declassify him rather than renew.

We've been in the position of being told that our ds didn't qualify for IEP services because his grades were passing and his state test scores were "too high". Grades and achievement test scores can't be used to deny eligibility - you should be able to find info on this at wrightslaw. I will also try to dig up the info I have but it might take a few days smile The important thing is to find a specific phrase that states that the district can't make this decision based on grades, and just repeat it (either in writing or verbal) whenever this issue comes up. Then move on to state the reasons he *does* need accommodations or IEP services.

However, he currently has an incomplete in one subject, because he did not hand in a paper. The rough draft has been submitted, awaiting on-summer-vacation teacher to review and then DS will need to submit final paper while starting 10th grade. I think his language disorder made it difficult for DS to get his thoughts on paper.

You can keep this as an example of the impact of his language disorder but it's a weak argument in and of itself. You need to first go back to his 2012 testing and look for the specifics in that report listing how his language disorder will impact him in the classroom and in communications outside the classroom. Then if you can tie the late paper to one of these specific issues save it as an example. If not, don't focus on the paper - move on to relevant arguments. You *should* think through what's happened in the past few years in the classroom that has impacted your ds and is potentially related to his SLD - you'll probably find examples once you start thinking through it.

District said DS did not hand it in, because he did not want to and he's capable.

Our district also made a lot of counter-arguments such as this. The best thing to do is to have that obvious tie to his disability - if you can't come up with it for this one paper, just let the district know you'll agree to disagree on this one situation, then move on to focus discussion on the points you do have data for.

FWIW, I did not know about the non-turned in paper until right before finals and DS had permission to hand in paper late.

Do you think this was an isolated situation, or does your dd struggle with organization and getting papers turned in on time? Or do you think this is all due to the language disorder? One of the things that's really important in advocating for services and accommodations is to look at it as a two-step process: the 2nd step is successfully advocating with the school, but the first step is understanding what your student's challenges really are, understand how they specifically impact him re academics, and figuring out the best game plan for how to both manage them looking at the long view (not just for one class here and now, but what's going to come later in his life). Then after you've thought through that, think through how to advocate here and now at school. I hope that makes sense!

DS has requested extended time, since he feels he is at a disadvantage and under pressure without it. Not to mention, over the top anxiety during finals.

This isn't going to work on it's own as an argument for extended time - if it did, more than half the kids in high school would be asking for extended time. You need a professional evaluation showing the specific reason for the need. I think you already have what you need in his previous evals (and an updated neuropsych eval this fall will definitely help). The key is, extract the specific proof from his evals. Is there anything in his 2012 np eval stating that he should be given extended time, how much (150%, 200% etc), and why. If not, are there tests in his 2012 eval showing issues with timed testing (I'm guessing there are since you mentioned he has slow processing speed). Not knowing the specifics of your ds' testing, I can't give you a specific example of what to look for because there could be many different reasons why he needs extended time. This is just a for instance, but my dd has fine motor challenges due to dyspraxia and dysgraphia, and he needs extended time when he has to use handwriting. One thing in ds' test results that illustrated this nicely was plotting his WJ achievement subtest scores together on one chart - there was a very obvious separation in scores between tests that were answered verbally vs with handwriting, and again another drop when tests were answered with handwriting and timed vs untimed. That's an example from elementary school. We had additional testing in high school where he was given two different forms of a part of the TOWL - timed and untimed.

DS receives points off for illegible handwriting and often misinterprets test questions. I suspect undiagnosed specific learning disability that ds has been able to compensate for, until now.

That sounds like potentially two different issues - something related to dysgraphia (possibly) for the illegible handwriting, but mistinterpreting test questions sounds more like something related to a reading challenge. Is there any clarity in his original 2012 eval re the nature of his SLD? Is he dysgraphic? Does he have a reading disorder diagnosis? If he's dysgraphic, it's a very simple argument to make that he shouldn't be given points off for illegible handwriting... but the larger and more important point of advocacy is that he most likely should be using keyboarding for his "writing" at all times except for short-answer responses.

My 2e dd who has a reading challenge misinterprets test questions and gets answers wrong as a result. This is a really tough issue - we are attempting to work with her at home on test-taking methodologies, get her to slow down, help her see where she gets tripped up etc. We also have to explain this up front to teachers, but I am not sure that there's a way to avoid having to deal with it happening other than helping your ds figure out when it happens, why it happens, and work on practicing ways of preventing it from happening.

I am hoping to get neuro-psych re-eval this fall. What arguments have others used in this situation to keep their DS' IEP or 504's in place?

1) Focus on FAPE (free appropriate public education) - the school district is required to provide it). Your ds needs to be allowed to show the full extent of his knowledge. He may be getting As and Bs, but if a specific challenge prevents him from showing his full knowledge, he's not receiving his FAPE.

2) Has the district already done an evaluation to show he no longer needs services? If not, they have to do that before exiting him (check out wrightslaw). If they've already done the eval, you can appeal and request an IEE (check your district policy/procedure).

DS had to be dropped from honor-track in other curriculum because he could not manage.

How was he "not managing"? Grades, completing assignments... etc? Make a list of all of the things that were not working and that prevented him from being in the honors track. Relate each to his disability. If his disability has prevented him from being in the honors track, he hasn't received his FAPE. If he's received proper remediation and is given proper accommodations, then there is no reason a student with the intellectual ability to be in an honors classroom won't be successful in an honors classroom.

I hope some of this helped!

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 08/11/16 03:25 PM.
    EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline
    As soon as Ds gets back from camp, I will take a fine tooth comb through the accommodations. Like most camps, there is no telephone access.

DS is in a different district for this past year, because, well..... high school. Original IEP was in 2003. Renewed and reviewed annually. IEP for last school year was current. Exh can give his consent to declassify. As "the non-custodial" parent I have no say. ***Just a warning for anyone who is about to sign a joint-custody agreement. Be VERY careful about giving up educational final say, if a timely agreement is not reached.***

Got it from wrightslaw.... After receiving evidence from both ...y, and socially" without such assistance .
    Glad to know I am not the only one with the district argument of kid wanted to blow off the paper and having it weighing on top of him all summer, knowing that he will have to still hand in the final version, while starting a new grade. Yeah... pfft.

Yes, DSs processing speed %-ile number is 73 points lower than his verbal comprehension index %-ile number. Neuropsych stated that clearly DS requires extended time.

The fine motor skill are variable... pegboard 99% versus Berry VMI 21%. I am trying for AT and OT evals. Filling in the test bubbles alone are difficult for DS. Looking for the bubble sheet accommodation.

If his disability has prevented him from being in the honors track, he hasn't received his FAPE. If he's received proper remediation and is given proper accommodations, then there is no reason a student with the intellectual ability to be in an honors classroom won't be successful in an honors classroom.

That was amazing for me. Clear words that I can go to bat with. Thank you!!!

B
    B
    Not sure what to say except hugs. Been through a H.S. wanting to declassify a kid because "she is passing her classes". Don't have a lot of advice. Sounds like a lot of this battle is fighting your ex.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by EmmaL
    Yes, DSs processing speed %-ile number is 73 points lower than his verbal comprehension index %-ile number. Neuropsych stated that clearly DS requires extended time.

The fine motor skill are variable... pegboard 99% versus Berry VMI 21%. I am trying for AT and OT evals. [/quote]

Does your ds have a dysgraphia or DCD or dyspraxia diagnosis? The test variability is very similar to my dysgraphic ds' scores. If your ds is dysgraphic, I've found it both important and very helpful to be sure to explain over and over again the following:

Dysgraphia is a condition that is neurological in original and means that a person never develops automaticity of handwriting. It doesn't mean just slow or sloppy handwriting; when a dysgraphic person uses handwriting, 100% of their working memory is used to remember how to form each letter and number. There is no working memory left over to think through how to spell or correct grammar, and most importantly, none left to focus on the ideas the person wants to communicate.

That statement (if your ds has a dysgraphia diagnosis) should be all you need to get him keyboarding accommodations because it clearly states why he's not receiving his FAPE when he's required to use handwriting. It should also be enough to get him an accommodation of no points off for spelling mistakes or neatness when he does use handwriting.

Filling in the test bubbles alone are difficult for DS. Looking for the bubble sheet accommodation.

The accommodation to allow a student to write in the answer book on standardized testing is also a common one for dysgraphic students. There are two good potential reasons to seek this accommodation for a dysgraphic student other than the time required to fill in bubbles: accuracy of filling in the bubbles (fine motor) and mistakes made during copying (due to dysgraphia).

If you suspect your ds is dysgraphic or he has a dysgraphia diagnosis, I'd recommend googling "accommodations for dysgraphia" and see if there are other accommodations he'd benefit from. Note-taking is an issue for my ds; he uses apps that let him audio record as well as type during lectures. He uses his phone to take pictures of assignments written on the board. If you want to know what is specifically listed on his 504 plan for accommodations let me know and I'll pm them to you.

Best wishes,

polarbear

S
    S
    slow processing speed, illegible handwriting, "interpreting questions wrong", difficulty filling in bubble sheets, trouble with writing. 73 percentile spread between verbal to processing speed.

I am tossing a few ideas around my head here:
    1) are you familiar with the diagnostic criteria for ADHD since the year 2000? It's not what it used to be...
    2) if those diagnostic criteria happen to fit and you were to pursue evalaution for diagnosis, would that be specific and familiar enough for the administration to recognize need?

I'm seeing your post through the lens of my son's ADHD. His discrepancy between verbal index and processing speed index is 68 percentiles, I believe. He's NOT hyperactive. He does not look or act like the social mythology of ADHD. When I pulled him from public school and was schooling him at home, I began to see patterns. He *could not* copy. No matter how hard he tried, he could not copy a problem out of a text - not in English, not in Math. He couldn't keep his place while reading. Reading was tedious because he spent most the time looking for wherever he left off. He couldn't look up a word in the dictionary... or he could but it might take 45 minutes. He could write to save his life either!!! There's no way he could keep his place on a bubble sheet!!

With ADHD treatment, he can copy, he can read fluently, he has made significant progress in writing. His FSIQ jumped up about 30 points. He started ADHD treatment before last school year. His standardized test scored jumped up and he was approved for 3-grade skip for this fall. More importantly, he can make and meet his own goals in play. Last summer, his version of play (8 years old) was to wander around hitting grass with sticks. This summer, he is practicing doing track stands with his bike, and troubleshooting why the brakes squeak. Before ADHD dx/rx, he was anxious and slipping into depression. He's pretty normal cheerful kid with treatment on board. ❤️

It sounds like your son might have a bit more going on as far as complexity of his 2e difficulties, but I wanted to share the similarity of how your son's struggles match right up to how my son's ADHD symptoms affect him. I can see how a school administration questions why a child labeled "language impaired" but performs within norms without accommodations would need the accommodations. However, if he does in fact meet the diagnostic criteria for ADHD and you had that diagnosed and documented, I would expect the school administration to be more able to understand what his needs are and to be willing to level the playing field for him.

EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ugh...change of plans... district will do the psychoevalaution which will be bare bones. District has a reputation of just re-evaluating where the disability is. They want to declasify, so they do not want to find anything new. How you word the follow up letter?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM