Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Yes & No.

It's going to be a rough year oemotionally. But S17 is honestly doing fairly well. But he is already ready to move out of the house. The good thing is this means he's motivated to pass his classes & apply to colleges and little nagging is necessary. It should be an exciting and fun year. The bad part is even though I know it's developmentally appropriate it can sting when I'm not wanted. Particularly as I know when this kid leave the house (probably next June) he's likely to be GONE except for holidays.

Plus my older D has moved home & the house is feeling a bit crowded. I'm super busy with a start-up. This summer has just flown by.

On the frustrating side. Just found out that S17's H.S. counselor has moved to another school. Uggg. Explaining DS's 2E situation is tricky and she really seemed to get it. He did registration for classes this AM (School start in 9 days) and I should find out in about an hour if that went OK. His counselor was supposed to give him preferential teacher choose as part of his 504 but IDK what a new counselor can do.

My sympathies. It is so annoying when you think you have things sorted with someone then they leave and you end up back at the start.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My kids are both in their same classes so no changes there. DS5 is zooming through material. It'll be interesting to see what he accomplishes this year. Outside of school he'll be doing swim lessons and scouts.

DS8 will be doing Beast Academy for math and MCT for language arts. These are new for him so I hope he enjoys them. He'll be doing swim, drama, a coding class and scouts.

They both really like school and I hope that continues.

J
    J
    My kids are excited! Younger son is in our gifted program for sixth grade, which our school is eliminating in a year. He will be in our city-wide sixth grade orchestra for one hour a week, for viola, which will be super fun.
    Older son DID get to skip Integrated Math 1 for 8th grade and go into Math 2. He is very excited. He also has Orchestra for viola and is trying out in November for the all state junior high orchestra. Hopefully he can do his Eagle project as that is all that is left for Eagle Scout.

_
    _
    So, first of all -- LOVE this thread and enjoyed reading about your upcoming years. I hope things go very well for all.

As for us -- DS6 is going into 1st. It seems like K was this HUGE build up and 1st is kind of just... not? smile But we have no real anxiety about this year, and that I am VERY excited about.

Many of our questions were answered last year, good and bad (mostly good!), and we expect more of the same this year. We found language immersion was great and kept the majority of K interesting. We expect that to continue into 1st.

The school overall was amazing and supportive and DS had a few intellectual peers in class. He found his tribe.

Math was our disaster last year and we expect it to be this year too.

For this year we heard they're combining the gifted kids across the grade and DS may have a group of ~6 kids all in the same classroom. I hope this is true and if so I might have a little more hope for actual math differentiation. Maybe? I would be excited about that.

DS is going to take math enrichment a year ahead at an after school math academy with a mostly gifted population. His excitement for math kind of died last year in K and never picked up again this summer the way I was hoping. smirk It was like watching a light go out. I'm really excited to see if he enjoys it again once he has a chance to do it in this new environment.

C
    C
    DS is going into grade 5 and DD into grade 3 and this is the first year that I'm not dreading school, yippee!!

School was rough from day one with DS but last year he transferred into a full time gifted program. The transition was rough but in the end it turned out to be AMAZING!! This is the first time he's ever said that he is looking forward to school.

Things went pretty smoothly with DD until last year when things went downhill. She's transferring into the same program that DS is in so hopefully it has similar results. Fingers crossed.

C
    C
    On the way to her first day of school this morning, my first grader announced, "I can't wait to learn!" I hope she is not disappointed.

L
    L
    With more trepidation than excitement. DS14 and DS12 are both heading to HS(two different schools). Heard one too many horror stories from other moms about the HS DS14 is heading to, pregnancies, drugs...and we live in an "award winning" school district. Not sure how well DS12 will adjust either being in a new school not knowing anyone, and I mean, goodness he still looks like a baby and will be taking some classes with 17-18 year olds! I think my kids are readier for HS than I am. I'm not ready to send them off to college in 4 years! Where did all the time go?

Last edited by LoveSunnyDays; 08/18/16 03:41 PM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM