Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    Kazzle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    This fall I will be homeschooling my two boys. I will be using Art of Problem Solving Prealgebra with my DS10 (PG). I am aware that we can work at our own pace with this book (or any book, really... that's one of the perks of homeschooling) but I am wondering if anyone else has used this book and how long it took to complete. I am loosely planning out the year and am curious if this book is meant to be a year's worth of lessons or more or less. Any feedback is appreciated! TIA!

L
    L
    My DS, who attends public school, worked through AOPS pre algebra at the age 10 as well. We did not use the textbook, only videos and Alcumus problems. He worked at whatever pace he chose (usually slow) after school. I believe he started in Nov. and completed the course around Apr./May, so for us, it was a few months shy of the length of an entire school year. Hope that helps your planning.

K
    Kazzle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you! I just saw on the AoPS website they offer 2 classes that, together, cover the Prealgebra book. Each class is 16 weeks. So, 32 weeks to cover the whole book. That's about one school year. It helps to know an approximate time frame for how long the book will take to complete.

P
    P
    Most people use it over a school year. If you do all the problems, all the challenge problems plus alcamus it is a lot of work.

Q
    Q
    We don't have experience with Pre-Algebra, only the subsequent books/courses. I think that you should be able to complete just the textbook in less than the 32 weeks that are allotted for the Pre-Algebra courses - at least that has been our experience. The actual courses provide additional challenge problems that are harder than the ones in the book plus a proof/writing problem. I believe the AOPS people estimate 5-7 hours for their introductory courses.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 07/28/16 03:18 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM