Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by DianaG
    At our anti-skipping school, you'll immediately get dismissed by administration asking for a two year skip (and they'll probably have a good laugh when you leave).
    That's fine if you only want a one-year skip anyway. An initial high offer makes subsequent lower offers seem more reasonable than if you had made the lower offers right away, even if they are still higher than what is deemed normal. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring) It wouldn't always work, but I did write a strategy, not the strategy. smile

P
    P
    Originally Posted by DianaG
    Originally Posted by Nyaanyaa
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Unless the school is unusually pro-skipping I wouldn't even mention a two year skip.
    It's a good strategy if you want a one-year skip and the school is anti-skipping. Suggest two years, settle for one.

At our anti-skipping school, you'll immediately get dismissed by administration asking for a two year skip (and they'll probably have a good laugh when you leave). Asking for a one year skip gets placated. I don't know a single case of skipping in our large (700 students) elementary.

Not all schools are the same, but unless there's a very clear history and path for a single year skip, I'd stay away from asking for a double. A double skip also has a higher chance of success taken in two steps.

And it would scuttle your chances of being taken seriously about a one year skip. Worst case scenario the would do what ds9's year 2 teacher tvreatened and prove they didn't need a skip by setting them up to fail.

This is an anti-skip school.

The problem is you aren't making an offer. They don't want what you are selling.

Last edited by puffin; 07/27/16 11:13 PM.
    S
    S
    You can take your child's age and multiply it by 1.35 to see what intellectual age your child functions at. College bound kids are generally about 2 years ahead of very average students. Engineering and other STEM bound students are often 3 years ahead.

I am a big supporter of grade acceleration, but only when the current grade has little or nothing left to offer. And that would be based on achievement, not IQ.

It depends where you live and what is offered, so I cannot say if your child should accelerate. I, personally, home school my children. But, I have found that when returning at the high school level, that there is plenty to be offered. I have found anything below high school to be futile and frustrating.

S
    S
    Our public schools are anti-skip too. My son who has a September birthday missed the cut off by 19 days. He was reading chapter books before kindergarten. His lowest achievement score before kindergarten was at 2nd grade level, by their own tests. His reading was at 4th grade level. He suffered through kindergarten with kids learning the alphabet. He home schools now. I wish I never sent him to kindergarten.

L
    L
    My son has never taken an individual IQ test but he did take CogAT in 2nd grade. IAS-3 treats the cogAT composite score as your IQ score(they suggest using the cogAT verbal score as your IQ score if composite is not available), even though the CogAT test provider emphasized that the cogAT composite is not your IQ score because of the low ceiling of 150. My son hit the ceiling of 150 on the composite as well as the verbal so I don't know if his actual IQ score might be higher.

Anyway short story long he skipped 2 grades and ended 8th grade with a 4.0 GPA. He also subject accelerated in math and science so is basically 4 years ahead in math and 3 years ahead in science compared to his age peers. Socially he adjusted quite well, made a few good friends in 8th grade even though he's physically smaller. Overall he's very happy with his grade skip and is looking forward to high school next year.

From my perspective though, I feel like I have lost 2 years with my son. Those 2 years just disappeared into thin air, I don't know where they went. So, if you are really close to your son, that's something to consider.

Also, I feel like he has lost his network of friends since Kindergarten. I know that he will build a new circle of friends when he starts high school but still, he used to be much more social. Also leadership became an issue as he's so much smaller physically compared to middle schoolers 2 years older, hopefully this will go away once he hits puberty in HS. He was a leader among his age peers in elementary. His birthday is in November so he was among the older kids in his grade level prior to the skip.

The most important thing to consider is how your son feels about it. My son really wanted to grade skip badly because he was tired of being bored in school all the time. Unless your son really, really wants it, don't do it, and even if he really really wants it, I wouldn't recommend more than 1 grade now. He can skip again later if needed. 6th grade (first year of middle school) is a good grade to skip as it usually doesn't teach much more than 5th.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM