Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    She was joking, right? Since you think it was funny, I assume so...

O
    Ocelot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    She was joking, right? Since you think it was funny, I assume so...

I think she meant it, but in a friendly way to let me know she didn't think DS's challenging personality is pathological. More like a reminder that intense gifted kids often grow up into intense gifted adults who go on to have intense gifted kids. She knows me from a specific professional setting where those characteristics are a positive (I work with a lot of quirky intense passionate opinionated wonderful people, many of whom were identified as GT as kids, and many of whom still exhibit quite a few OEs).

I think I wanted to share the story because so many times on this forum I hear parents discovering or remembering things about themselves along the way as they think about their child. Also, I think a lot of characteristics that make kids challenging can sometimes serve them well as an adults; sometimes it is reassuring to remember that.

C
    C
    Blackcat- I just wanted to comment that my DD does exactly what you describe-holding her head up when writing and not using her hand to hold the paper at all. We have just recently started OT for hypotonia and fine motor issues (and apparently a couple of other things the OT noticed). Boy, I wish I could chat with you and learn from your experiences with it so far!

B
    B
    Let me know if you have any specific questions. Last OT session did not go well. Substitute OT kept talking to DS like he's 4, going on and on about his helper hand, and how he needs to use it to hold his paper. DS barked at her about how his helper hand needs to help hold his head up. He looked like he was going to fall out of his chair and seemed downright surly with the poor woman (they have one way observation windows so I could see what was going on). Not his normal personality at all. He is supposed to use a slant board at school, but doesn't. Not sure if that makes the situation with the hand better or worse.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM