Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I would like to hear about what set you all on the path to homeschooling. Or why did you contemplate it and then stick to brick and mortar?

I just don't know what to do with DD11. I am finding out she is more unhappy than I realized. DH states we can't protect her from her troubles; she needs to learn the tools to face the world, but he is open to alternative school ideas. Middle school (hormones?), social,ADHD, internal issues - how to pry apart those four and determine what is the most troublesome. She says the only thing she learned this past year was math (in a class three years advanced for her age). All the other classes were a wash (she knew it already although 1 year accelerated). She liked one class - art (maybe band). She is also starting to talk about how she dislikes crowds and noise. This is new. Will be bringing this all up to the psych. on Monday.

I wouldn't be so focused on the option of homeschooling if it weren't for the fact that math is her least favorite subject, and if she is successfully pulling A's doing work three years ahead -well, what could she do in history, LA, and geography? She is self-educating with Ted Talks and library books!!
    Thank you thank you for everyone's support!!

P
    P
    I considered it when ds9 had such a bad second year at school his toilet training regressed. I didn't do it because I am a single mum who has to work and didn't earn enough to pay someone to care for him or have free care available. I carefully monitored the next year and sent him to a one day gifted programme each week (which I also couldn't really afford). I also stepped up at home learning. Ds is a sporty child and enjoys lunch breaks so school is mostly OK (so far). He has one more year of primary and I am making plans for intermediate now.
    I am too disorganised to homeschool well anyway.

M
    M
    Do you have alternatives aside from her current public school and homeschooling?

What are the pros and cons of each alternative?

I think it might be helpful to make a list and bring it with you to your appointment on Monday.

B
    B
    I considered it last spring for DS but the new school district we're in is putting him in their self-contained gifted program and I want to see how it goes before giving up. If I homeschooled it would probably just be for a couple years, not permanently.
    In terms of what your Dh thinks...I can see his point to a certain extent, but adults have choices. If an adult hates their job they can look for a different one, go back to school and switch careers, move, etc. So shouldn't a kid have choices too? As long as you are able to reasonably accommodate it?

For us there was a perfect confluence of events -- 2nd grade at Tiny Private School wasn't working, I was on sabbatical, and there were no other schools I would consider (I'd already shopped them all before choosing TPS). So I just held my breath and jumped in. Or out, I suppose. I was on the hook for November tuition, but after finishing the last week of October (halloween party, you know), we just . . . stopped. Told the school she wasn't coming back, woke up on Monday morning, and . . . weren't . . . in . . . school. It was a most peculiar feeling.

After we made the jump there was a lot of hyperventilating and "what have I done?!?" Not because I thought I'd made the wrong decision, but because it felt so much like being in free-fall after jumping off a cliff.

Now of course I'm trapped. laugh Homeschooling is so perfect for this kid, I could never send her back. Just like I would make extraordinary sacrifices for a kid with special medical needs, for example, I have to do whatever it takes (including trashing my career, I'm afraid), to give this kid what she needs, both emotionally and educationally.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by greenlotus
    She is self-educating with Ted Talks and library books!!
    This is a wonderful bright spot in the midst of the difficulties! smile

When weighing homeschooling as an option for your child, you may also wish to read the informative articles on the Davidson Database, including Homeschooling Tips which begins with the advice to parents to know your State's Laws on homeschooling.

Gifted Homeschooler's Forum (GHF) is also a helpful resource, including this webpage on Education Alternatives.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    So many good ideas. Thanks all.

Are there alternatives? I researched as much as I could before we placed her in this school. It seemed to be the best for both emotional and educational reasons. I liked the AG teacher (who had raised the possibility that we might switch elsewhere at some point due to the fact that the classes are a mix of high/medium/low performing students save the math class which is accelerated/compacted).

I work only part time so that would not be an issue. I'm just terrified of screwing up!! I would have to find online/homeschool classes, etc to make this work. I am lucky that this is a STEM area with lots of homeschool groups and support. What MegMeg said resonated with me:

"After we made the jump there was a lot of hyperventilating and "what have I done?!?" Not because I thought I'd made the wrong decision, but because it felt so much like being in free-fall after jumping off a cliff.

Now of course I'm trapped. laugh Homeschooling is so perfect for this kid, I could never send her back. Just like I would make extraordinary sacrifices for a kid with special medical needs, for example, I have to do whatever it takes (including trashing my career, I'm afraid), to give this kid what she needs, both emotionally and educationally."

Yep. Sounds like something I would say/feel/do. I worry a lot about how DD's ADHD is affecting her.

Mana - will definitely bring a list to the psych.

Can I repeat again that it scares me to death??

And thanks, Indigo!!! I have been on both those sites for other reasons - will have to do more research there for HSing if that is the choice! I brought up homeschooling on the forum long ago - it's been in the back of my mind for a long time.

A
    A
    I wouldn't think of homeschooling as a binary decision. There really is a continuum of options that are available. In your shoes, I would check with the school about options for part-time enrolment, the possibility of dual enrolment with colleges or universities, participating in home school coops or e-learning with gifted-focused courses (e.g. AOPS, athena, G3, etc.), project based independent learning,...

And on the "career trashing" front, I hear you MegMeg! I've committed to a comfortable position that gives me good work-life balance specifically with DS' needs in mind. It's not what I would choose for myself absent having DS, because I'm a bit of a workaholic striver by nature, but I can be in the 1% or have a happy, healthy child. I'd like to have the ability to homeschool (even part-time) when DS is older, should he need it, and this path gives me that option.

Sending you hugs and courage as you explore your options! But remember, nothing you do is irreversible. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    Is the getting the tools to face the world at a public school? The public school is not the world. It is a set of kids, her exact same age, her exact same demographic, placed in a room together for several hours. At higher grade levels, every so often, a bell rings or a buzzer buzzes and she gets to stand from her desk and quickly walk to a different room and then sit at a different desk for near an hour. Then she gets to dash through her lunch period in about 30 minutes while battling a room full of people hoping to get through the lunch line first and gulp down their food fast enough to get back to the rooms. The rooms where they sit at a desk for 45 minutes to an hour.

That is not teaching her how to face the world. That is teaching her what life would be like in prison.

The moment I decided to home school.....it has been ongoing. I started home schooling because my child was in special education and not learning how to read. She was also a bully. My other child was being bullied. Once home, I found out both kids were highly gifted. Stupidly, I only home schooled the bully child. The bully child went back to public school for high school. In high school, she was top of her class, model student, and NMS. She is in college on a full ride scholarship now, plus stipend. Her brother, the one who had been bullied, is not doing so well in college, even though his IQ is higher than hers. He was in the gifted program in public school. It was nonsense and he grew to have low self esteem and not know how to socialize. If only he had home schooled, he would have had the tools and confidence , and education, it takes to face the world as an adult.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by summer70
    If only he had home schooled, he would have had the tools and confidence , and education, it takes to face the world as an adult.

I don't think this kind of self-criticism is productive or fair to yourself. You did the best you could with the information and tools you had at the time you made the decision. I'm sure your son will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM