Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    N
    N
    I think colleges these days know that some kids are taking AP classes just to take AP classes. GPA's today are disappearing just like class's ranks. I do agree it makes school look better on paper offering more AP classes.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    I still think it's odd to have Calculus broken into two years. This wasn't the way it was done when I was in HS and it's not the way it done at the local one.

It's all in how you break up the material though... We have a years of Pre-Calc. Regular pre-calc leads to AB, H. Pre Calc leads to BC. The H. Pre-Calc includes some beginning Calculus topics to get a jump start on the next year. Kids who go right into BC, don't skip AB. I agree it would be difficult if it's broken up that way.

Why it's strange is because of how the AP tests are given & colleges give credit. One university DS is looking at gives credit for 2 'quarters' of Calc for the AB Calc Test, and 3 for BC Calc. IF you take both tests on different years, you only get credit for the later test. It's also odd since the letter ABC are meant to be break the material into 3. So if you take Calc AB one year, the next year of Cal BC would just be the C part and be slower? Or do they add extra material?

A million years ago when I took Calculus in H.S. we did a looped two year BC course. Same teacher / same kids / same textbook. I don't remember if the division occurred neatly at the boundary between the two we just picked up where we had stopped the previous year. Structurally I think it was very successful. Since BC is a superset of AB its also very easy to split the material up just that way. An AB class could be the common topics/chapters and the BC class the additional ones which is how some of our local high schools do it here.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    The junior high may allow DS to skip Integrated Math 1 and go into 2 next year, which is great! However, they said that only the high school offers the next year of that sequence, for 9th grade.
    Ninth grade is located at our junior high, not the high school. It's a 5 minute drive away, but the kids only get 5 minutes to get to each class.
    What if he was late to the high school class or the next junior high class? Are teachers understanding about that? Has anyone out there had this experience?

N
    N
    My daughter had a similar situation. in her case it was a first period math at the high school and she was with 13 others. All of them were always late getting back for their second period classes(10 min bus ride) but the teachers were aware and there was never a problem.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Any ideas if this is a good idea?
    My 7th grader last year took Common Core 2/3 (which used to be Algebra I) and got a 95% all year. Last summer, he took a 5 week intensive Algebra I class at the community college. This summer, he's doing there 5-week Geometry class. Both classes are a year of high school math, in 5 weeks.
    The (summer) teacher emailed me that we should see if he can skip Integrated Math 1 next year for 8th grade and just go into Integrated Math 2.
    Any thoughts on this? What do they do anyway in these Integrate Math classes?

It should not be a problem. While it looks like a skip on the school transcript, it is not an actual skip of concepts/content. Your DS already covered Algebra I and Geometry over the last two summers. Assuming that five-week intensive community college courses only cover one-half of the actual material, your DS should still be fine since the Integrated Math I would presumably cover only half of Algebra I and Geometry, leaving the second halves to Integrated Math II.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    smile
    We are going to go talk to the principal Thursday about it. Hopefully they will agree to it. The community college class covers one chapter a class period or 3 per week, or the whole textbook in five weeks. They really do cover the year in five weeks, but the question is if you can keep up.
    I review his math homework that he does, and I don't remember any of the geometry. Zero, except for the area of a circle!

B
    B
    The community college class wouldn't include Geometry. Common Core class will. They don't align in content.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    We met with the junior high principal today. He was very nice. It sounds like the school will approve my son to skip Integrated Math 1 and go into the Math 2 for 8th grade.
    One problem is that the 9th grade is physically at the junior high. He will have to go to the high school for first period in 9th grade to take Integrated Math 3, then to the junior high, which is very doable.
    However, nobody knows if that will still be available in a year since the schools are moving to a later start time. If the schedules for junior and senior high didn't match up for that one year, he would have no math to take since the junior high wouldn't have anything else.
    Despite that risk, I think we will go for it. Presumably something would be worked out for 9th grade.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Well, my son got a 99% for his final summer Geometry class. The teacher said he was one of the only 7th graders (the rest were older) and he got the second highest score out of 20 students on the final.
    I think the junior high will let him take Integrated Math 2 this fall as an 8th grader EXCEPT the counselor emailed us that the class is full so he can't!!
    I was like, what??!!!
    They said if he wants to drop Orchestra or Spanish 2, maybe they can fit him in. He said, no way, he loves those classes.
    So, grrrr.... So maybe Integrated Math 1 this year in 8th grade and try to skip into Integrated Math 3 for 9th grade.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    So, grrrr.... So maybe Integrated Math 1 this year in 8th grade and try to skip into Integrated Math 3 for 9th grade.

Having been a child placed in too low a math class for scheduling reasons, I would encourage you to find another way. Can he take an online class after school instead?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM