Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Oops, sorry, missed the sentence about private school.

Yes, in a private school you have less legal recourse.

Nonetheless, the Justice Department link I cited was regarding private schools: one does not give up all one's civil rights by enrolling in private school.

Thank you! Very good point about civil rights.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    However, if this is going to be a class for perfect little angel students, it might not fit anyway.

Exactly, if the people in the school do not accept and understand 2e learners, it is probably pointless trying to push for them to accept him into the program. You can try to educate them, but unless they are fully on board, the program will probably be one challenge after another, as teachers etc. make complaints rather than trying to help/support.

I was thinking that. His teacher this year is excellent and I love her. I am going to speak to her and DS's previous teacher too. Perhaps if he is doing well behaviorally with his medicine changes we can make a good case.

S
    S
    The school would be covered under ADA meaning your child would have to be otherwise qualified. They may have behavior AND cognitive ability as criteria for the program, if so then you have no recourse.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Ok, I just talked to the principal. The program will start in January, and will mostly be based on IQ. So, we do have time to see how DS does in 2nd grade. He said they will be offering IQ tests at the school for a fee, or we can get one from an outside source. In your experience which is better?

S
    S
    Untreated / uncontrolled ADHD affects the ability to learn. My son had subject acceleration before ADHD dx/rx. We really didn't know what he is capable of until after getting his ADHD symptoms controlled. He made leaps in his academics with ADH treatment!

Also, in terms of academic outcomes, IQ is not a predictor of academic success. ADHD predicts negative academic outcomes elementary through college. However, there are specific organizational skills specific to the academic environment which predict academic outcomes.

Untreated ADHD symptoms interfere with learning.

At age 6, my son's FSIQ was 108 (a bit above average). At age 7 he was diagnosed with ADHD. Retested IQ at age 8 after treating his ADHD. FSIQ up to 132, GAI 141. (GAI is a calculation of IQ which adjusts for slow processing speed and low working memory - 2 hallmarks of ADHD which affect IQ testing.)

After 1 school year with ADHD treatment, my son skipped 3 grades, with additional subject acceleration up 2 more grade levels in three subjects.

There is valid reasoning why ADHD-symptoms need to be controlled before some accelerations. I understand that point of view. However, I see the other side. When my son was 6, he was in public 1st grade. He had behavior problems that were minor enough to slip by the school but significant enough that he was socially ostracized. He was acting out in boredom - and not surprising since the classroom pace was too slow for him and the material he had mastered years before.

I'd encourage you to look into Organizational Skills Training for ADHD (book). When your son has opportunity for subject acceleration or a gifted program, he'll likely need the skills. These skills might help the school view him as "ready" for the gifted program.

I'm looking at doing a 504 plan for my son this year to get a behavior contract with the school. Is a 504 an option with private schools?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM