Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 127 of 268 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 267 268
    Yay! Kathleen's mum!

How lovely, Kathleen'sMum!

Now I feel silly about all the hedging I did on my last post. Espers used a sentence "I want it" with her hand out at the dinner table to get something from her dad. I've heard a couple of times that I thought she was making a sentence. But I know babies sound like they're talking before they actually do. And I know that babies talk before people realize they're really talking. This probably isn't even the right thread to put this in. (^.^') -(embarrassed emoticon)

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Yay Kathleen's confidence and persistence! And a good head on her shoulders too.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    B
    B
    My ds9 and I were talking to my dd7 about testing for the GT program( she tests at the end of this school year) and he said I think the pictures clinched it for me. I asked what he meant and he said- they showed me pictures and asked what it looked like. He answered that it looked like a scythe. The teacher did not know what it was, had to write it down and look it up.
    LOL! I guess it did help get it wink
    Brandy

Originally Posted by La Texican
    Now I feel silly about all the hedging I did on my last post. Espers used a sentence "I want it" with her hand out at the dinner table to get something from her dad. I've heard a couple of times that I thought she was making a sentence. But I know babies sound like they're talking before they actually do. And I know that babies talk before people realize they're really talking. This probably isn't even the right thread to put this in. (^.^') -(embarrassed emoticon)

I had to go back and read about the echolalia to see what you were talking about. Butter was absolutely communicating with us well before her 1st bday. We taught her some simple signs like more, milk, sleep, etc so she used those, but, beyond that...for many months, probably as young as 8-10 months, she would push away food, books, whatever, and say what sounded like "monkey shoes". We didn't know what she was saying, but the meaning was clear. At that point, would you call that talking? I didn't, but she was communicating and we could tell it meant "no more" or I'm done...this child was never very chatty though...fast foward to about 20 months, when her physicality caught up to her intellect and suddenly we realized she had been saying "No thank you" all that time! Maybe the phrasing was echolalia, but when the context is correct after a few times, it becomes apparent that it's not a fluke, the child IS talking!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    Originally Posted by bgbarnes
    He answered that it looked like a scythe. The teacher did not know what it was, had to write it down and look it up

lol. I think that should be an automatic "admit". smile

Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    Maybe the phrasing was echolalia, but when the context is correct after a few times, it becomes apparent that it's not a fluke, the child IS talking!

It's always a little shocking when a little baby actually TALKS to you! My DD6 who hasn't really shown any signs of giftedness was a super early talker. Around 7 months she started saying 'I want a snack." Of course, it sounded like "I-na-sna" but it was consistent, and when we acted like we had no idea, she would crawl to the pantry and beat on the door! (She still loves snacks, lol.)

~amy
    Originally Posted by epoh
    Maybe the phrasing was echolalia, but when the context is correct after a few times, it becomes apparent that it's not a fluke, the child IS talking!

It's always a little shocking when a little baby actually TALKS to you! My DD6 who hasn't really shown any signs of giftedness was a super early talker. Around 7 months she started saying 'I want a snack." Of course, it sounded like "I-na-sna" but it was consistent, and when we acted like we had no idea, she would crawl to the pantry and beat on the door! (She still loves snacks, lol.)

I just assume they can all completely understand what I'm saying and speak to them like I would any other person. We have a few "cute" words, mostly caused by the mouth that can't quite do what the brain wants (fagric for fabric, hangaburger and mazagine), but I never baby talk. My MIL joked she was surprised our children didn't come from the womb speaking wink

Also, when you have no frame of reference, like a large family or the kids in daycare or social groups from a young age, it's hard to know what is "normal". I didn't know it wasn't "normal" for a 2yo to use a complete sentance or for a 4yo to read...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    I just assume they can all completely understand what I'm saying and speak to them like I would any other person. We have a few "cute" words, mostly caused by the mouth that can't quite do what the brain wants (fagric for fabric, hangaburger and mazagine), but I never baby talk.

My step-mother (the English teacher) is a HUGE fan of this and drilled it into my head when I was pregnant. We never baby talked to our kids. I always spoke in complete sentences and would correct mis-pronounced words.

Also, it's not normal for 2yr olds to use complete sentences? LoL

~amy
    Page 127 of 268 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM