Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 102 1 2 3 4 5 6 101 102
    Val Offline
    ...your kid's teacher tells you you're "pushing her" because you work with her outside of school.

Yet...it's perfectly okay for other people to send their kids to Kumon or other tutoring centers for "extra help."

Last edited by Val; 09/17/13 08:40 PM.
    H
    H
    When your 6yr old child's teacher assigns child reading level K and online books to read on a controlled, leveled site which child refuses to use until child finds a way to access level Z, saying "HA! Level Z!". Child then proceeds to listen to a 45min reading of Robinson Caruso, refusing to go to bed, and answers half of the comprehension questions correctly.

C
    C
    ...there is a discrepancy about some fact, your dd10 is the one in the family everyone assumes has it right.

...grandpa can't figure out how to fix something around the house, he calls your dd10 to come help him figure it out, and she usually comes up with a solution.

...you almost don't let your kid at age 3 participate in the end of year production because she hadn't been to preschool for 2 weeks and only went 2 days a week before that, and you have never heard her say a single word from any of the songs. But you decide to let her stand up there anyway and she leads all the other kids.

M
    M
    When you ask your dd5 the items that are on the grocery list (because you forgot the list) & she can list them in order.

When your ds8 keeps an "idea notebook" of new engineering designs and you are pretty sure some of them could be feasible.

When you have to declare a "question free zone" for the 10 minutes it takes to get everyone out the door for school.

When your kids ask for a separate library card so they can check out more books.

C
    C
    ...when all the students in your dd8's third grade class gets a paperback student dictionaries to take home but all the words your child wants to look up isn't in that dictionary and you have to go to the "big" dictionary to find the definitions. But she still reads the "small" one at night to help her go to sleep.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    The spelling thing reminded me that we spelled words backwards so that our precocious kids didn't know what to think. It was soooo hard because the receiver had to figure it out. Hey i was thinking m-a-e-r-c e-c-i.....where do you want to get it? I am surprised they never did because dh is the champion saying the alphabet backwards which is what gave us the idea I think.

I liked the idea of spelling things backwards, so I suggested it to my wife last night. The first word she thought to cipher? "Park". K-R-A-P. My DD 4.5 proceeded with her usual phonics. Hilarity ensued.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    The spelling thing reminded me that we spelled words backwards so that our precocious kids didn't know what to think. It was soooo hard because the receiver had to figure it out. Hey i was thinking m-a-e-r-c e-c-i.....where do you want to get it? I am surprised they never did because dh is the champion saying the alphabet backwards which is what gave us the idea I think.

I liked the idea of spelling things backwards, so I suggested it to my wife last night. The first word she thought to cipher? "Park". K-R-A-P. My DD 4.5 proceeded with her usual phonics. Hilarity ensued.

Glad I could provide you with some fun. I still don't know if my kids (13 and 8) would know if we spelled backwards in front of them...we have left that stage behind.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Val
    ...your kid's teacher tells you you're "pushing her" because you work with her outside of school.

Yet...it's perfectly okay for other people to send their kids to Kumon or other tutoring centers for "extra help."

YES - and also, when they accuse you of "pushing her" even when you don't work with her outside of school. because of course NO child could learn anything without direct instruction, right? [bangs head on desk for the fiftieth time...]

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    K
    K
    Your ds6 assembles new vacuum cleaner before you're finished reading the directions.

D
    D
    ha, ha! just wait until he disassembles it... my poor mother came down to the basement one day when i was about that age, only to find me sitting squarely in the middle of a neat array of vacuum parts. as she put it, "it was too quiet."

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Page 4 of 102 1 2 3 4 5 6 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM