Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Fingers crossed. I hope all works well for both of you.

LMom
    Mia Offline
    Oooh, bummer. Well, it's probably better this way, so you don't have to worry about him being pulled ... I really hope this works out for your ds! First would obviously be a better fit for him than K.

Fingers crossed here too!

Mia
    Could there possibly have been an "assist" on the clerical error?

I'm definately starting to believe in fairy god-mothers, or fairy god-fathers for that matter!

I would have done the same though, crisc. I'll take my chances on a slippery slope, but I sure don't want to set my child up on one, KWIM?

Better to get the i's dotted and t's crossed properly. Good luck....staying tuned...........

crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    UPDATE:

The Principal called today with a compromise since the age requirement in our district has a no exception policy.

DS5 will attend public school K for the morning session and then go to 1st grade from 10:50am until school lets out at 2:30pm. He will officially be a K'er. In the fall of 2009 he will attend 2nd grade (as the grade placement after 1st grade is at the discretion of the school.) During the afternoons he will be on an "enrichment" curriculum. The 1st grade teacher is excited to have him. The 1st grade also has specials (gym, art, music) in the afternoons.

I will also have him attend the YMCA after school program at the school.

Now I am just waiting to hear from the Montessori school to see if I can get out of contract. Let's hope that conversation goes well.

Crisc
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by crisc
    UPDATE:

The Principal called today with a compromise since the age requirement in our district has a no exception policy.

DS5 will attend public school K for the morning session and then go to 1st grade from 10:50am until school lets out at 2:30pm. He will officially be a K'er. In the fall of 2009 he will attend 2nd grade (as the grade placement after 1st grade is at the discretion of the school.) During the afternoons he will be on an "enrichment" curriculum. The 1st grade teacher is excited to have him. The 1st grade also has specials (gym, art, music) in the afternoons.

I will also have him attend the YMCA after school program at the school.

Now I am just waiting to hear from the Montessori school to see if I can get out of contract. Let's hope that conversation goes well.

That sounds very reasonable! Congratulations on a too-rare advocacy success!

Val

Mia Offline
    That is *awesome*! Sounds like a success to me! It also sounds like the principal *wanted* to skip him but just couldn't. And so she made it work anyway. Good for you and ds!

Good luck with Montessori ... I bet they let you out of it, as long as they've got a waiting list.

Mia
    Yahoo! That sounds like the best scenario possible, given the "no exceptions" policy. Pretty doggone close to an exception! Yay!

grin

Kriston
    K
    K
    Wow! Hope you can get out of that contract. That sounds great. Let us know how it goes!

crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Now I just have to convince DS5 that this is a good thing. He's very worried that his handwriting is not good enough for 1st grade in the afternoon(It's not wonderful but certainly will pass) He is also worried that he won't be in his best buds 1st grade class. He also informed me that he'll be more of a 1st grader since he would spend more time in that class than the K class. What an anxious kid...I wonder where he gets that from smile

Crisc
    LOL! He is a kid with a lot on his mind. smile That's better than the alternative, I think!

Wishing you two all the best!

Kriston
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM