Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    My sister was like this growing up. Like GeorgeC, she is a musician, but growing up it was mostly chatter and talking, IIRC. And yes, she did it even in her sleep. As the very quiet, introverted sibling with some noise sensitivity, it drove me crazy, and is something that still colors my memories of our sibling relationship. I used to believe it was a ploy for attention- she was insatiable in that regard (though obviously talking and humming in your sleep doesn't fit that theory).

My dd10 is like this, she is gifted with a beautiful voice and superior auditory memory, however the tapping, clapping, humming, talking, interrupting, dancing, etc., etc finally resulted in our seeking a drs opinion on the behavior. She also has difficulty staying on task in the morning, getting out the door on time (though usually has everything she needs, when she does finally get going). Some issues with finishing work in a timely manner at school, also.

Your child might not have any of the distraction issues, but ours certainly did/does (it is easier to overlook being on time in the summer, but boredom can result in LOTS Of needing to talk nonstop, etc).
    She has a diagnosis of adhd - and we are educating ourselves on what that will mean for her education going forward; right now she has a few accommodations at the school, which have been helpful.

Last edited by chris1234; 07/20/16 05:02 AM.
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Oh yes - that sounds like DS.

I've been avoiding thoughts of ADHD, but it's a possibility. He has psycho-ed testing coming up in a month - so we'll see.

I know last year his teachers had a problem with him wandering around the class and singing - and then denying that he was singing. Interesting to hear that other kids are also unaware of this behaviour....

C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Yes, this is part of the problem - I find that I can tolerate it and I try not to get on his case about it too much. But it drives my DD11 nuts (although she sings too, just not as much or as repetitively).

It leads to much sibling squabbling - which I have a harder time tolerating.

L
    L
    My husband, DD7, and DS2 are all like this. DD5 and I both live in a constant state of frustration and exhaustion. I try to teach moderation and respect for boundaries and limits, but it's difficult to win the battle when outnumbered. We have a whole house full of various OEs, so "never a dull moment" barely covers it.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Can2K
    It leads to much sibling squabbling - which I have a harder time tolerating.
    The irony in our household is that DS6 talks almost incessantly about every topic under the sun and makes tons of noise all the time, but is the one who gets most frustrated on those rare occasions when DS5 is talking a bit too much or humming an annoying tune. The OEs will be the death of me. crazy

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Can2K
    I've been avoiding thoughts of ADHD, but it's a possibility. He has psycho-ed testing coming up in a month - so we'll see.

I know someone with the ADHD - DCD combo who makes a lot of noises like that-- I think it keeps him on track, in a way. But yes, troubling to others.

C
    C
    Yes, DD6 is always talking, asking questions, singing, humming, or making what sound like nonsense noises of some type or another. She is also a singer and has been performing (by her choice) since age 3, although I think this choice is a result of the behavior rather than a cause. She has excellent pitch, fortunately, but I am an introvert, so I am often challenged to expand my patience.

She does, however, also exhibit attention challenges very similar to those described by chris1234, so I often wonder how much of the behavior is possibly related to undiagnosed ADHD vs OEs.

P
    P
    I get really frustrated with ds9 talking to the computer screen but I know I talk to myself, especially when I am struggling to maintain focus/ignore distractions.

S
    S
    This is really similar to one of several school-behavior complaints we've received about my own kid -- constant noisemaking, sometimes seemingly unconscious, sometimes apparently a bid for attention. I'm trawling through this forum looking for anything that sounds familiar, so was relieved to see this question. School is bemused, deeply irritated, and all out of behavior management ideas.

OP or others in this thread: if you're still hanging out here, how does this look for your kid, three years on? Has anyone had any success in teaching a kid like this to zip it in school?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM