Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #232036 06/30/16 02:00 PM
    W
    Wd33 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Please help - very new to this. My second grade son recently took the cogat online version. This is the first year the district has used this test (before it was Raven) and it was wrought with issues (his class was rescheduled 5 times due to technical issues and even when he did take it, he told me that had to stop three times due to internet problems and they even had them run laps in the middle while they figured things out).

Anyway they ended up only giving 3 of the 9 subtests (one from each battery). Would that really give a valid result? It seems to me that only 50 some questions wouldn't be enough to have a statistical sample size.

They also will not release test scores. They simply sent home a letter (the last day of school) that said he did not score above 90th percentile and thus does not qualify for GATE. We asked for a breakdown of scores but they refused.

Does this seem odd? We really expected him to qualify based on classroom performance and teacher feedback.

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Using the CogAT 7 screening (one subtest from each cluster) is considered a valid use for gifted identification. Obviously, the more data one has, the higher the degree of confidence. But HMH & the authors do condone using the screener this way, based on its reliability data, and correlation with the complete battery, with the caveat that the catchment range should be about three times the cutoff range that would otherwise be used, if using the comprehensive battery. IOW, 90th %ile and above would be a reasonable screening cutoff, if the comprehensive cutoff would have been 97th %ile. If the comprehensive cutoff would have been 90th %ile, the screener cutoff should be 70th %ile.

The publishers/authors do not recommend releasing score breakdowns when using the screener, as there are no valid area scores.

http://www.hmhco.com/~/media/sites/home/hmh-assessments/assessments/cogat/pdf/cogat-cognitively-speaking-v7-aug-2011.pdf?la=en

(p.7-9)

Other than the testing conditions themselves, which appear to have been beyond the control of the proctors, there is nothing strikingly untoward in your account of the use of the test or the reporting of its results.

Whether the entire administration was valid is another question, but that would apply to every member of his class (and likely many other classes).

Among the reasons he might not have reached the cut score this time:

1. Classroom performance and teacher ratings are among the weakest predictors of GT-level cognition.
    2. The primary level of CogAT 7 is entirely nonverbal, which means that students who present as higher-functioning due to advanced reading and writing skills, or oral performance skills (often overlapping with soft skills, such as assertion/confidence, or fluency in oral English) will receive no advantage over peers who have the same level of abstract cognition, but have not yet attained those levels of specific academic skills.
    3. Young children have differing levels of familiarity and comfort with computer-administered assessments, resulting in a notable percentage underperforming their "true" abilities in their first few encounters with formal testing.
    4. The percentile cutoff may have been a local percentile, rather than a national percentile. If your child attends school in a high-performing community, it is possible that a child who would fall above the cutoff nationally falls below it in this specific community.

None of this is incompatible with you and your child's teacher's experience of him as a capable and motivated learner. Nor does it invalidate his gifts, of whatever nature and extent, or his right to have them nurtured and developed in the context of his development as a whole person.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    X
    X
    Originally Posted by Wd33
    Please help - very new to this. My second grade son recently took the cogat online version. This is the first year the district has used this test (before it was Raven) and it was wrought with issues (his class was rescheduled 5 times due to technical issues and even when he did take it, he told me that had to stop three times due to internet problems and they even had them run laps in the middle while they figured things out).

Anyway they ended up only giving 3 of the 9 subtests (one from each battery). Would that really give a valid result? It seems to me that only 50 some questions wouldn't be enough to have a statistical sample size.

They also will not release test scores. They simply sent home a letter (the last day of school) that said he did not score above 90th percentile and thus does not qualify for GATE. We asked for a breakdown of scores but they refused.

Does this seem odd? We really expected him to qualify based on classroom performance and teacher feedback.

I'm in the same district with a child that just finished the 2nd grade. At my kid's school we also got a letter on the last day of school with very little details. It included a CogAT score range for ability, whether or not an achievement standard was met and whether or not there were any special factors considered. Nothing mentioned what combination of scores were necessary to qualify.

Based on my very limited knowledge, I had the impression the screening form was meant to use wider cutoffs to identify a smaller group of students to then take the full test. I thought our district always used 98% for gifted and 99.9% for highly gifted, so I wouldn't think the screening form would be great at identifying the top 2% and especially the top 0.1%, but, again, I know very little.

On the subject of percentiles, it seems like based on your letter, the cutoff scores have changed. I wonder what they are now.

HID Offline
    Wd33, I PMed you.

Last edited by HID; 07/02/16 07:04 PM. Reason: clarification
    W
    Wd33 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thank you, aeh - your explanation made a lot of sense and helped clarify many questions that the district has not been willing to answer. From what we understand, they started with the full battery in some schools and it was such a disaster as far as IT problems that they switched to just the screener. I have no idea what cutoff % they were aiming for but I know that with the Raven in previous years, they had identified 18% of all students as GATE which was quite inflated and one of the reasons for the switch. I wonder if they are using that catchment range properly. I also don't know if they were using local or national percentiles - that would be very interesting to find out. It's a very large diverse district which does not skew to a high-performing (although some schools are definitely more so than others).

I'm honestly not set on him getting a GATE identification, I just want to make sure that the process was fair and accurate and that regardless of his identification that he is challenged next year. This past year he was often bored in class (no differentiation by the teacher) and I know at least in math he could have moved at a much faster pace.

HID Offline
    I don't know if you ever got the school to give you the test scores but I ran across a reference to FERPA that seems to apply to this situation.

"Does a school have to explain or interpret education records when requested by a parent or eligible student?"

"FERPA requires that an educational agency or institution respond to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of education records.  34 CFR § 99.10(c)"

http://familypolicy.ed.gov/faq-page/12#t28n92

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM