Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    kk77 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My son is in the Lake Washington School District and will be entering Grade 2 in the fall. I'd like him to appear in the Quest program screening.
    http://www.lwsd.org/parents/accelerated-programs/quest/pages/default.aspx
    However, it is not clear to me what the testing procedure is and what exams are given. I saw Amazon has some books to help get familiar with the format and I'd like to run through one of them. My son has high functioning autism, and doesnt always test well even though he knows a lot - and he doesnt do well in big groups so I want to take out the variables I can make him comfortable with ahead of the test.

If someone can explain what COGAT and ITBS levels he will be tested on while in grade 2, testing for admission into grade 3, I would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The CogAT publisher website has samples of item types:

http://www.hmhco.com/hmh-assessments/ability/cogat-7#overview-content2

CogAT is normed by age, so he should be taking the test for his current placement. Note that he is likely to be taking the picture format (first column), as he will be an entering 2nd grader at the time.

This page of the link you posted notes that ITBS will be one grade level above his current grade placement:

http://www.lwsd.org/Parents/Accelerated-Programs/Quest/Pages/1-4-Student-Selection.aspx

If he is already on an IEP, and has small group testing as an accommodation, I would contact the district GT coordinator (you may wish to cc his special education liaison/case coordinator) and make sure that he has access to his IEP-mandated accommodations for the CogAT and ITBS assessments. (The Renzulli is a teacher rating scale, so accommodations are irrelevant.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    L
    My twins were in the Lake Washington School district until last year when I pulled them. The Quest program is for high achieving (emphasis on high achieving) gifted children. There is a reason why they include the Renzulli. Was your child already screened last year or in K?

L
    L
    My twins were in the Lake Washington School district until last year when I pulled them. The Quest program is for high achieving gifted children (emphasis on high achieving). There is a reason why they include the Renzulli in the screening.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM