Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #231877 06/21/16 01:22 PM
    HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I was wondering if anybody knew of any studies about how CogAT scores and individually administered IQ test scores correlate. My district has just switched to using the CogAT screener for identification into the gifted program. Anecdotally it seems to be not properly identifying the kids. We are getting no answers from the district about all the problems we are finding with this switch.

P
    P
    Some useful references from the author of the CogAT himself:

https://faculty.education.uiowa.edu/docs/dlohman/practical-advice.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    * The Cognitive Abilities Test measures developed abilities, not innate abilities.
    * I’m astonished by the number of people who are surprised to learn that they should not use the overall composite score from identifying academically talented children.
    * The table below shows that if Level A is administered to every student, errors of measurement remain reasonably small for all students who score below the 90th percentile (emphasis mine). Thereafter, errors increase substantially. [...] Thus, the level of the test that is most appropriate depends on the ability level of the student.

http://www.riverpub.com/products/cogAt/support.html#4
    Q: Is CogAT an IQ test? A: No. CogAT measures reasoning abilities. Although these abilities are central to all definitions of intelligence, the word intelligence implies much more.

ETA: In sum: the CogAT under-identifies the highly gifted, who tend who provide unusual answers that are not the single allowed "correct" written response. In addition, because it is a written, group screener with a focus on learned abilities, it also under-identifies 2E, kids working in their non-native language, and kids with less enriched home environments. It can over-identify kids who have had more learning opportunities, especially when used on younger kids.

Last edited by Platypus101; 06/22/16 04:47 AM. Reason: Drank more coffee, finished thought
    HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm going to take a closer look at those links, but it looks like exactly what I was thinking. What is most remarkable is that it seems that using the CogAT will actually do the opposite of what the school district says it wants.

P
    P
    Yes, our district's top priority is equity - and yet selects for its gifted program with the CCAT only, and for teacher-selected kids only. It's a process guaranteed to select for high SES. It's maddening.

P
    P
    Soooo... (chiming in from a CogAT district here too...)... I'm wondering - is it possible that any of the widespread prevalence of the CogAT use in gifted screening in schools might be due to marketing? Just thinkin'.........

pb

HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Seems likely. I think the powers-that-be who chose this test only read the marketing materials about it and nothing else. It's sad that the school district has now put this decision in the hands of a department that knows very little about gifted children.

C
    C
    In our case the school board doesn't have the resources to WISC test every kid (or even a tiny percentage of kids) so CCAT (Canadian CogAT) it is. They don't need trained psychologists to administer it and get test groups of kids all at once. I do think they believe it to be far more accurate for those on the right tail of the curve than it seems to be. Whether that is actual marketing or clueless administrators it is hard to say.

X
    X
    HID, I sent you a private message.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM