Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    We don't live in San Francisco, but I was reading that the SF public schools no longer Algebra I in middle school! You start that in 9th grade. My child in public school and different city took Algebra I in 7th grade. It's not called that anymore due to Common Core, but he got a 96% all year in it.
    He takes accelerated math classes in the summer at the community college, which helps a lot. I think it's really sad though that their public school district is doing that.

Val Offline
    I see that this situation is bad, but think the problem goes far deeper. I also wonder if SF is delaying algebra because CC math isn't giving kids what they need to understand it. I mean, not that what came immediately before CC was so great, but....

My son was in CC 8th grade math this past academic year. Everything was fine until the end of the first semester, when it jumped from stuff that made sense to solving systems of linear equations. The course hadn't gone over graphing a single linear equation yet, and he was justifiably confused.

When I talked to him, he said he'd gone over some of "that stuff" in 7th grade, but "I didn't understand it then, either." He would have struggled with algebra had he continued with that course (the school let him switch to an old pre-algebra book).

I wrote to one of the CC authors after learning that other kids (some described here) were hitting the same roadblock. I said that I admired what the CC was trying to accomplish, and asked if this particular part of CC math was problematic. The response was that "it would take me an entire day to explain it to you" because I obviously didn't understand linear equations. Emm. Okay. He reminded me of what the Everyday Math advocates said to the STEM folks who questioned EM's approach to arithmetic: "You obviously don't understand this stuff."

So okay, fine. The CC is under fire and this guy was circling his wagons. Might make him feel better, but won't help the situation.

I feel very sad when I think that many kids in this country are being cheated out of a decent education because of fads (compounded with textbook company profiteering). Though to be fair to Pearson (!), what should we expect when the gentlemen in charge of CC math wrote up a list of bullet points standards and expected that the textbook producers would be able to turn them into pedagogical gold?

S
    S
    Val, kudos to you for going right to the source! The response you received was interesting, though, because here's an article I read a while back about another author of CC math, who is also the father of elementary students. Based on the answer you received, I'm assuming it's not the same person, because the guy in this article tutors his kids because of poor CC math implementation.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/12/29/371918272/the-man-behind-common-core-math

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by syoblrig
    Val, kudos to you for going right to the source! The response you received was interesting, though, because here's an article I read a while back about another author of CC math, who is also the father of elementary students. Based on the answer you received, I'm assuming it's not the same person....

You're right. I wrote to a guy who wasn't one of the three main authors, but was in the next group of (7 or 8 people). I had communicated with him before and had received very positive responses. Oh well.

The CC authors all have excellent math credentials. The guy I contacted also knew how bad the textbook publishers are and had published on the subject. It kind of surprised me that they were that naive about textbook publishing (as Jason Zimba admitted in that NPR article).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM