Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    O
    Ophelia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    Is your child accelerated somehow? Why is a 7 year old doing multiplication and division if he struggles with it to such a degree?

He is not accelerated. His entire 2nd grade class is doing the same work. He's in a public charter school. Unfortunately, I can't answer why he's doing it when he's struggling. Both he and the teacher have confirmed that he works much more slowly in math than other children, and is always still working when all of the other children have completed their work.

O
    Ophelia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Thanks very much, aeh, for your very informative and helpful feedback.

You may wish to consider further assessment by a hospital/clinic-based team, who would be the most likely to have experience with an ADOS-2. Other members of the evaluation team that might be valuable may include a speech language pathologist and an occupational therapist.

Yes, I think this is what I'm going to try next. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do this until next year due to finances and also their long waiting list.

Depending on your insurance, you may be able to receive full or partial coverage for this with a referral from your primary care doc.

My insurance does not cover any autism-related services or evaluations, whatsoever. Because of this, I've used my flex account to pay for evaluations, but I've used all of those funds already for this year. Regardless, I do appreciate your pointing this out since it's important that people know it can be covered.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Ophelia; 06/26/16 08:39 AM.
    O
    Ophelia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    In addition, if you go through a hospital for testing, they can likely advise you about funding sources other than your insurance. Some states and/or counties have funding programs that specifically fund testing for developmental disabilities.

I was not aware of this. How wonderful! Thanks very much smile

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Ophelia
    My insurance does not cover any autism-related services or evaluations, whatsoever.

Ophelia, I'm guessing you've already tried this, but just in case - with some insurance policies, the code used for a referral makes the difference in coverage. For instance, you're looking for an evaluation to look into autism, but your pediatrician might make the referral under a code that doesn't specifically mention autism. I'm sorry I'm not very well-versed at explaining this, but fwiw when we ran into issues like this sometimes our ped's office was able to help, sometimes the office offering the eval or therapy was able to help with codes.

Best wishes,

polarbear

O
    Ophelia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    I responded to everyone yesterday, but apparently, I did something wrong because they never appeared. So, I'll be back later this evening to try again. smile

O
    Ophelia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Ophelia, I'm guessing you've already tried this, but just in case - with some insurance policies, the code used for a referral makes the difference in coverage. For instance, you're looking for an evaluation to look into autism, but your pediatrician might make the referral under a code that doesn't specifically mention autism. I'm sorry I'm not very well-versed at explaining this, but fwiw when we ran into issues like this sometimes our ped's office was able to help, sometimes the office offering the eval or therapy was able to help with codes.

My insurance usually doesn't require referrals for coverage, but I can try it that way and see if it makes a difference. My understanding after speaking with the insurance company previously is that regardless of the reason for the evaluation, if the diagnosis comes back as ASD related, they will not cover the evaluation. This seems incredibly wrong to me. I wouldn't want to be the parent who's not expecting an ASD diagnosis, receive the diagnosis, and then have to unexpectedly cover the cost of the evaluation. shocked

So, I will remember what you said when I contact the hospital, and will ask them about it. Thank you smile

O
    Ophelia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    With the Affordable Care Act, habilitation services are now covered (to varying extents), so if you have not checked your insurance coverage recently, you may find that autism is covered.

You can google your state and see what your standards are for private insurance

We have private insurance via my husband, and his insurance was "grandfathered." His employer opted out of autism coverage, and since changing jobs is not an option, I'm not sure we have a way around it. frown I have checked into the insurance portion quite a bit, and even asked the employer to opt in, but that didn't work either.

Thanks for the heads up, anyway. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM