Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    EmmaL #231191 05/27/16 02:56 PM
    E
    E
    Would anything in this article help make a case?
    https://www.nagc.org/sites/default/...s%20Receive%20Appropriate%20Services.pdf
    Does the PsyD have 2E expertise?

It's difficult enough trying to advocate in an educational setting. I don't envy your situation. If the other parent is open (:/), sometimes relying on someone with expertise to do the explaining can help mitigate ego fallout.

EmmaL #231926 06/24/16 08:37 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The importance of the RCI is in determining whether this child's relative standing compared to his peers has changed between the first and second administration. If the RCI is not significantly different, it means his growth relative to his peers has been relatively similar. If he was behind before, he has not caught up. If he was ahead, he has maintained that lead. In this case, even though the RCI is considered not significant, it is still negative, so it means that, although his rate of growth has been a bit slower than that of his peers, it is only somewhat slower, not enormously slower. (The conventional RCI cutoff for significance is an arbitrary number; I've seen numbers from 1.645 to 1.96. Even if his RCI is below that cutoff, it still means something.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    EmmaL #231933 06/24/16 11:52 AM
    P
    P
    If his reading comprehension level now isn't significantly different relative to his peers than it was in 2011, I'm curious:

Has he been given remediation for his dyslexia? (I'm guessing he has?) If he's been in a program where he's been receiving remediation, you'd expect his functioning relative to his peers to be at a higher level now. (I think - but I'm just a parent, not a professional, so take my questions and advice with a huge bottle of salt smile ).

From my totally non-professional point of view, I'd think that the fact that his reading comprehension is measuring at low average is the important point to make here, and that it points to lack of adequate remediation - unless his other cognitive abilities measure at low average too.

Sorry I'm not much help - I hope things go well for you at the hearing!

Best wishes,

polarbear

EmmaL #231934 06/24/16 12:46 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The takeaway from his RCI is that he has not caught up. Instead, the gap is slowly widening between him and his peers. Because it is widening slowly, rather than rapidly, the RCI is not > 1.96 (the admittedly arbitrary figure for significance), but it is still quite a bit bigger in magnitude than 0, and, more importantly, it is negative. Whatever remediation he has been receiving for the past several years has not closed the gap, because if it had resolved his impediments to reading comprehension, his RCI would now be positive, indicating that he had acquired more effective tools for developing reading comprehension skills than the ones he had in 2011.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    EmmaL #231945 06/24/16 09:11 PM
    EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you aeh and polarbear...

EmmaL #231950 06/25/16 03:12 AM
    P
    P
    If I am understanding correctly you are looking to explain that he is falling further behind his peers rather than catching up - right? And that even if he is only slightly further behind than he was 4 years earlier that is still significant.

The best way I have seen it worded in layman terms - you need to see more than a year's progress in a year's time or they will never catch up.

His peers are presumably gaining each year - if he gains an equal amount he will always remain behind. If he makes less than a year's progess in a year's time he will continue to lose more ground. Each year's loss may be incremental but each of those incremental losses add up to being further and further behind his peers.

Proper remediation CAN close the gap. If he is further behind his peers today than he was 4 years ago the remediation has not been successful. For example my DD went from decoding below grade level to decoding at grade level to decoding above grade level during that same time period. That's demonstrative of successful remediation.

Pemberley #231964 06/25/16 06:16 PM
    EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you Pemberley... I know this sounds so silly to go into this fine detail of a micro-argument. The good new is that when I finally get to the District... I'll be prepared.... mad

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM