Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Someone just recommended this one to me. I just bought it. I will decide whether I will let my teenage son read it after I read it.

The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education

C
    C
    "Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed" by Mo Willems
    "The Big Orange Splot" by Daniel Pinkwater

Not really sure of a good book on Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis but he (correctly) pushed for washing of hands between handling corpses and delivering babies which was not really accepted at the time.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by playandlearn
    The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education
    The author, Grace Llewellyn, is synonymous with unschooling, an educational alternative which is related to homeschooling and is identifiable by self-directed, learner-chosen activities.

There is good and bad in everything. Done well, children can far exceed grade-level standards and norms through unschooling. Done poorly, unschooling can be an excuse for indolence.

Evidently the camp which Grace Llewellyn founded for unschoolers is still operating, and celebrating its 21st year.

Some may say that it is not enough to criticize societal norms; Rather than being "against" something, one must find (or create) something which s/he is "for". Grace Llewellyn has done this. smile

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Raevyn
    We have to read books like that for my book club. Do any of you have suggestions?
    1) Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
    2) Sewing Circles of Herat, Christina Lamb
    3) Atlas Shrugged, Ayan Rand
    4) Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
    5) Animal Farm, George Orwell
    6) Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
    7) The Giver, Lois Lowry
    8) Confucius Never Said, Helen Raliegh
    9) The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis

Originally Posted by Raevyn
    (criticizes governments that exaggerate small or nonexistent issues to distract from the real issues)
    Raevyn, I'm impressed with the insights and questions you post on far-ranging subjects. smile

BTW, this happens often IRL - Governments (and individuals) routinely exaggerate small or nonexistent issues to distract from the real issues. When you read or watch the news you may find yourself keeping a mental list of these red herrings. Reading/watching the news from other countries can be very informative and the fresh perspective may also serve as an antidote to myopic vision (much like reading these books which question the status quo and/or the direction in which society may be headed). It is often beneficial to practice seeing several sides of an issue.

R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks to every new poster. smile @indigo, The Giver is my favorite book, thanks for suggesting it. You make some great points about the news.

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    N
    N
    Although this is not a directly related topic, I really like this book a lot and it touches on the conflicts in a culture people often overlook:
    Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World by Leah Hager Cohen

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM