Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    We have to read books like that for my book club. Do any of you have suggestions? So far I've read:
    Ender's Game (racism/xenophobia, placing extremely high expectations on children)
    Civil Disobedience (political and social apathy)

And I've started, but not finished, these two:
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (criticizes governments that exaggerate small or nonexistent issues to distract from the real issues)
    Alien in a Bottle (criticizes overprotectiveness and not letting kids at least try something they're passionate about)

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    C
    C
    Crime and Punishment
    The Custom of the Country

R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks. smile I don't really have time to start any new books, since we're meeting this afternoon, but I definitely want to read Crime and Punishment; I'll have to look up the second book you mentioned.

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    How about Bowling Alone (the deterioration of social connectedness), Fast Food Nation (destructive impact of the fast food industry), Affluenza (problems of overconsumption) or Amusing Ourselves to Death ("television industry and its effects on intellectual discourse").

Each of these addresses different aspects of our accepted/adopted lifestyles and their negative effects on each of us as individuals and on society as a whole.

I could discuss books all day, every day. I should have been a librarian! smile

R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    They all sound cool! I want to buy Fast Food Nation someday...I have way too many books on my list. smile

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Me too! I will never be able to read all of the books on my list. I'd have to read 24/7.

On the subject of consumerism, I was also fascinated by The Walmart Effect and The Paradox of Choice.

The Walmart Effect was particularly fascinating to me - how one man's noble goal (to make quality products accessible to all consumers) inadvertently led to the growth of an empire that has essentially dictated the poor-quality of countless numbers of products that are now all but disposable.

R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Wow. I'll have to look that one up....I don't read much nonfiction, but that does seem like an exception.

C
    C
    Oh! I just remembered one that I read several times, it's not fiction, but was fascinating for the perspective on how societal norms in the US affect girls.

It's called "Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls"

R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I've heard of that one, but I never got around to reading it. *looks it up*

R
    Raevyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Okay, now that I've looked it up I really want to read it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM