Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    DS left for one of his summer trips this morning. It is also a "school" trip run by one of his teachers. I Don't want to put more detail in a public post. But it sounds awesome and I want to go. What both of us worry is he is fairly introverted and 10 days is a long time for him to be forced to socialize with the same kids. On the other hand I LOVE the teacher he is traveling and consider him one of the best at his school.

Last edited by bluemagic; 06/11/16 09:12 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I looked it up and AP test are our mid July I believe. DS took the SAT for the first time & it comes out next week. He took the Math Subject test last year and did extremely well. Well enough he was getting mail from top schools. wink We didn't have him take anymore this spring because a) None of the schools he's looking at care about SAT Subject tests b) He was totally tested out by June. In May he took the SAT, AP's and the states standardized tests which he had to do half of as a make-up because we flew him out to his sisters college graduation.

It's crazy that CA has decided that only the H.S. juniors need to take the standardized tests. Since they are the ones taking SAT, AP, etc. There was so much testing in May, there was so little time to learn anything new.

N
    N
    Our state has the juniors take the ACT, our school has sophomores take the PSAT, and I think the freshmen now have a test, something along the lines of a Common Core assessment.

A
    A
    We are still fighting elementary school battles, so, a long way to go. But, I was just expressing the same sentiment as the title of your post. I even joked to my family that I deserved a gold medal for surviving this year - it has been a burnout inducing year for me. But, it seems that I have survived this one!

bluemagic, hope your son has a good trip.

H
    H
    I thought of this thread today when I realized our whole family is happier now that the school year is over. It was our toughest year yet, but that may have been built on several years of poor education fit building up. I can see clearly now what I should have done years ago, but not 100% sure what to do for next year.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Gosh, am I being overly negative that instead of being relieved, I'm already worried about next year?

We're meeting the principal in a few days to plan ahead a bit for DS6 for next year, and I'm so nervous about it. DS6's teacher is terrific this year and after hearing/reading horror stories about some teachers, I'm really concerned as to what next year could look like.

I wasn't in any hurry to see the end of this school year because I knew he was in good hands. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM