Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 30 of 35 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 34 35
    Great news - congrats!

Become what you are
    G
    G
    Thanks!

L
    L
    Congratulations!!! smile

D
    D
    where do you get the assessment done in Reno, NV? My grandson is 4 (turns 5 March 2016). Summer reading program says he's at 2nd/3rd grade reading level. Appreciate the guidance.

M
    M
    Anyone else want to join me in the waiting room? July 30 can't come fast enough! Though my 7th grade daughter qualifies with achievement and IQ scores, I'm slightly paranoid that she won't get in. It's funny that I feel more nervous for this than I did for my own college grades smile .

G
    G
    We thought about applying this month, but we're not at the point where we have a good person to fill out the nomination form. Maybe we'll wait a few months when that changes.

Best of luck to you!

I
    I
    Okay, just submitted application for DS1 smile I'm kind-of excited. With the criteria change, I felt like it was now or never. He has qualifying IQ score but had missed the achievement only by 2 points. Also, I did not feel like we had a good nominator previously. Now, I feel like we have more than one good nominator and the new criteria means his scores now qualify.

Fingers crossed... smile I'd love for him to get it but will not be crushed if he doesn't. I just figured this was our chance. I am concerned about DS2 though... He is gifted but his scores are only 138 - so he does not have qualifying WISC scores (that is on the WISC V). However, he is getting his achievement testing done on Tuesday so maybe he'll get a qualifying score there... We'll see.

Last edited by Irena; 08/09/15 05:46 PM.
    V
    V
    We are planning to apply for DYS for DS10 who qualifies based on EXPLORE test scores. We are new to this program, and do not know the application process well. How important is the discussion question section? Do those answers have to be very long, or maybe with documented examples? Also, would his school teacher or GT teacher be good as a nominator? Input is greatly appreciated.

A
    A
    I just applied for my DS7 in February and he got accepted to the program. I think the most important thing is the test score. The answers to the questions don't really need to be long. I've used bullet points for a few questions and gave examples in other questions. I think the documented examples can be submitted as supplemental support for the application. I asked DSs' piano teacher to be the nominator as he has known my son for more than 2 years and DS has shown him his other abilities other than playing piano. I think the GT teacher would be a good nominator if he/she knows your son well.

HTH. Good luck!

L
    L
    Yep. I think the most important factor is whether the child has the qualifying test scores. I doubt that my writing helped either of my DYS get accepted. My responses were even shorter on the second application, because my gut told me Davidson primarily wanted the scores to qualify. wink We used teachers as recommendations for both DC. Best of luck!!!

Page 30 of 35 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM