Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    And what works for regular daily math. I.E there are problems in a pre-algebra textbook and the teacher wants the kids to copy them in a notebook and show their work? DS doesn't show any (or very little) work and what he does show has copying errors and is largely illegible. So what are we supposed to do about regular, daily math? I think he is going to be put into the course that comes before high school Algebra next year (or that's my guess at any rate). We need a plan.

B
    B
    Someone periodically will think about the graph paper and try to get him to use it but he completely disregards the squares. It is useless. Doesn't the mod math just go up through long division? I think the sp.ed teacher tried it last year and it was too fussy. He is not particularly slow when he writes, but no one can read it. He doesn't care that no one can read it, so these apps like mod math seem unreasonably tedious to him when he could do the handwriting faster.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    So, as far as I know, Efofex is not helpful or useful until pre-algebra. Having never used it yet I have no idea how well you can do elementary grade level math on it but I have waited until DS was starting Pre-Algebra to start looking into the Efofex because I heard it just was not useful until then. Maybe someone else with more experience could chime in on that.

Modmath and Math Paper were both a disaster for my kiddo at school and that experience is the reason why I am being really pushy about getting some sort-of district AT person familiar with the technology to come in and train and why I want it in the IEP that they need to do training for both teacher and student and that my son actually needs to learn and do a certain number of problems in class with the technology (with support). Because the teachers just couldn't figure out how to use Mod Math or Math Paper, they were ticked off that they couldn't scan in worksheets or whatever to Math paper. They would just leave him to try to figure out the apps and it would take DS so long and he would get so frustrated, etc. Disaster. That's why we NEED to do something different this time because this will happen YET AGAIN and the only person really losing here is my kid, ya know? So, his math grades really fell this year because I think the scribe is sort of getting in the way of his really learning because the work is multistep now and more complicated BUT he can't not have a scribe because he really can't write all that either. Or when he writes its becomes so illegible (lining up is bad, etc) he makes mistakes . I am just watching him really fall in this area and it's so pissing me off. I just can't sit by and watch it happen again.

I think if you get ModMAth and MAth Paper you need to do the same as I am trying to do for it have a slight chance of working. Because no one could bother with either when it came to my son.

Last edited by Irena; 06/04/16 01:42 PM.
    B
    B
    It quite honestly sounds like it's not worth messing with (modmath or math paper). DS is so impatient w/ anything that is tedious it's not even worth it. Right now he gets by with showing minimal written work and in the long term I don't know how happy they are going to be with that or how long he can get away w/ it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM