Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I work with a family who has a a little boy who I think is pretty bright from his conversations. He has anxiety about his handwriting, and when I saw one of his notebooks, I knew why. The whole year's worth of notes was completely illegible. His teacher says if he "tries hard enough" he can write. Hmmm. Poor boy, he cries at home about his homework. Anyway, I want someone to take a look at him to have him assessed for a potential learning disability, but the school keeps going on about his anxiety, and they want that diagnosed first before checking out the writing issue. Does anyone have any idea why the school would want that? I just want to find out why the child cannot write and get him accommodations.

B
    B
    A lot of kids have anxiety that is directly tied to the disability. For a period of a couple years DD refused to write in class, at least not more than a few sentences. In her case it wasn't her handwriting, it was an executive functioning issue. She didn't know what to write about or how to get it on the paper. The more people pressured her, the worse the anxiety, until pretty soon she was just refusing to write, in a sort of passive aggressive way.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The school is probably going on the teacher's perception that it is not a writing skill deficit, but a performance deficit, in which case the primary issue would be anxiety. This is, of course, not necessarily the case. I would agree that a comprehensive eval (even a school-based eval, with some emotional assessment included) makes more sense than attempting to look at one piece at a time. We're not allowed to diagnose anxiety disorders in the schools, so it may be that the school wants an outside licensed person to make the anxiety diagnosis.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by aeh
    The school is probably going on the teacher's perception that it is not a writing skill deficit, but a performance deficit, in which case the primary issue would be anxiety. This is, of course, not necessarily the case. I would agree that a comprehensive eval (even a school-based eval, with some emotional assessment included) makes more sense than attempting to look at one piece at a time. We're not allowed to diagnose anxiety disorders in the schools, so it may be that the school wants an outside licensed person to make the anxiety diagnosis.

Until he gets an anxiety diagnosis, the school won't move forward on an assessment. He is seeing a therapist, BTW, for something else. What I want to know is why he needs the anxiety diagnosis to get an evaluation. The principal suggested an OT take a look but won't budge until the diagnosis. Isn't this backward? Shouldn't they try to determine why the child cannot write?

Is anxiety just focused on writing, or is it present elsewhere?
    Just about handwriting and school projects where he has to write and draw something for the school hallway.
    A lot of kids have anxiety that is directly tied to the disability.
    It seems like this is the case.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    If school personnel believe that anxiety is the primary disability, and that it is not being addressed, it is possible that they believe they are, in the best interest of the child, using the evaluation as leverage to get the child into treatment for the anxiety. Of course, if the school's belief is inaccurate, and the anxiety is the result of learning challenges, rather than the reverse, then this is clearly to the disadvantage of the child.

Is the child in a state where the family can push for a comprehensive initial evaluation directly, or do they have to go through the RTI process, or seek the approval of the school-based team? Many states have provisions for guardians to bypass RTI and go directly to a request for initial evaluation.

I do agree that the writing should be remediated through RTI immediately, regardless of disability classification, as, whether or not he "can when he tries", his current performance level is not classroom functional.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    The school should evaluate for specific learning disability--written expression. If the student has an anxiety disorder that is the primary cause, it would affect other areas of functioning. The school needs to follow the Child Find mandate. If a disability is suspected, they need to assess the student. It is not up to the parents to get outside evals before the school does anything, although in this case they would probably be wise to do that, because the school personnel are going to come to the conclusions that they have already determined rather than doing an unbiased eval.

C
    C
    OT isn't a primary therapy but a support therapy. Maybe he NEEDS to have something else wrong with him so they can then turn and ask for an OT evaluation.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    A lot of kids have anxiety that is directly tied to the disability.

This has happened with my ds, and I would add that in ds' case (and I suspect other children too)... it wasn't obvious that the anxiety was caused by the disability - it was much easier to see the anxiety before anyone recognized the disability, and by the time the anxiety was obvious, it was so high that it was seeping into other area's of ds' life, not just siutations that were a struggle due to his disability - yet once his disability was recognized and accommodated his anxiety dissipated almost overnight. Treating the anxiety alone, first, before evaluating, would have led nowhere.

Re the school, we've found that teachers and school staff will draw conclusions based on what they see and what they have knowledge of, and it's likely they've seen many more cases of anxiety in young children than they have of LDs that impact handwriting. Or they just can't see past the anxiety in a way that let's them see what the real issue is. In any event, I don't think schools are legally able to diagnose anxiety or to even suggest a potential issue with it. Is there a parent advocate group or disability advocate group in your area? It sounds like your friend could use some help from an advocate, and sometimes you can find that help at no charge - even just a call in to ask "what do I do next" could be extremely helpful for your friend. The thing that advocates have in addition to legal knowledge is *local* knowledge, and this was very helpful for us in advocating.

You can also send questions like this in to wrightslaw (at least you used to be able to - I haven't looked there in a few years so my knowledge may be out-of-date), but it's worth a try.

I'm also curious what your friend has done, so far, in advocating. Has her ds had an IEP eligibility review process yet? Has she requested it? If not, she should put a written request in *today* (you can do this via email), and request the evaluation for SLD-writing, including a request for both speech-language and occupational therapy in the eval. While it's possibly true, as Cookie mentioned, that to *receive* OT services through the school you need a diagnosis which gets you the IEP, you can request the OT eval as part of the comprehensive eval by the school.

The second thing I'd suggest - for the sake of her own sanity - is to consider a private eval. Some schools do wonderful jobs of comprehensive evals, but the objective of the school is academic function, and if there is either a learning disability, disabling anxiety, or some other challenge, parents and children need and benefit from having someone look at a *life* plan, not just academics, and that's part of what you get with a private neuropsych eval. A private neuropsych can also help you by providing recommendations for what will be attainable and useful for your child at school (both remediation and accommodation).

My last recommendation, for now, is to have this parent keep a log of every conversation with the school and be sure to keep all paperwork. Honestly, it doesn't sound like what they are telling her is exactly legal. I'm not recommending this as looking toward actual legal action, but found that when we weren't getting the full/true picture from our school (in our case the school tried to bluff through things in order to discourage parents), it was extremely helpful to have written down what was said in a conversation, then send it back to the school as a summary, and give them a chance to say "Oops, no, that's not what I meant". For instance, with your friend, if she was to send a summary email back to the school saying "This is my understanding from our latest conversation: ___ is requesting that we seek an anxiety diagnosis from a private source for our ds. As we mentioned, we are concerned that the anxiety is secondary to a possible handwriting challenge or learning disability. We are asking for an OT eval (or IEP eligibility eval), and our understanding is that you are requesting we first seek ___". etc. That offers the school the chance to say "No, that's not what we meant" and then everyone starts from what is, hopefully, a foundation based on real policy.

Hope that makes sense smile

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM