Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Don't have too much time to discuss the not signing the NOREP. But I had just meant that I won't sign at the meeting (so I have time to digest and research because I let them know I am not comfortable and that I will be coming back at them)... I never sign the NOREP at the meeting no matter how well it went. I always think of things later. Regardless of what happens legally/technically when I don't sign, I have found it's a lot easier to get things tweaked, added, subtracted, before signing off. I have also found that when I needed to sign it to get services going but I still was not happy I found it useful to sign "under objection" and formally state my disapproval. I think my state was a "stay-put state at one tme." I *think* now the new IEP goes into effect in 10 days whether parent signs or not. Not entirely sure maybe it's the old iep goes into effect in keeping with stay-put. I forget but either way, I have found it is still useful to not sign right away and hash things out as much you can within the 10 day window. Anyway, by saying that I just meant that they are not going to catch me off guard and get me to go along with something that is not good.

Okay,so more questions for y'all.

I need my son to start using some kind of program for math like EfoFex. He is in accelerated math and has a scribe but he REALLY needs to be more independent. Next year, 5th grade, they start Pre-Algebra. But as much as we (the iep team and I) talk about this need for a software/AT/app to help him access his curriculum in meetings and such, it never really happens. And, yes, he has had an AT eval and all he got out of it was a blue tooth keyboard. I am so frustrated with how to get him access to his curriculum with technology. I know it's possible! But we never seem to get there. His IEP is fairly useless in the Assistive Tech because the paras and teachers need training in it as does DS at school with the curriculum from professionals. So, I am complaining/brainstorming about this with a few others on my Facebook group and a member pipes up and says the problem is you have to make sure that everything is specified, that AT training for teachers and paraprofessionals is included, that the IEP states who is responsible for training the teachers and the student, that it has to be allowed in every (or specific) class, on all tests, including state standardized tests, etc., etc. or teachers just find it too much trouble to figure out and use and it doesn't happen. I am thinking "Oh my gosh, this is exactly what is happening!" because nothing is specified in his iep about this. There is nothing in the iep about it specifically just a vague reference that the school will explore AT and apps to help DS get access to his math curriculum. Could I try putting in the iep something like (and just really roughly paraphrasing here), "my son needs software to help him access his math curriculum. AT-person (I'm thinking of specifying the AT consultant in the district who did his AT eval) will train my son, his 1-1 scribe/para and teacher on how to use said programs"? Does any one have any experience with doing this? Any insight? Thoughts?

Last edited by Irena; 06/02/16 09:02 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hmm maybe I should make a new topic for this question!
    New thread is here: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....g_training_on_Efofex_oth.html#Post231430

Last edited by Irena; 06/02/16 09:40 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh and as for the consenting to iep and signing NOREP thing. I did just quickly look into to refresh my memory. My state sort-of is still a "stay put" state.

Parental approval is necessary. If a parent does not approve of the new IEP - he/she can sign the NOREP but indicate on it that he/she does not consent/approve and that he/she intends to seek a due process hearing or mediation, etc. The district is then under an obligation to implement the PREVIOUS iep and placement (not the new one with which parent does not agree/approve) while mediation and/or due process proceedings play out. So, a parent not consenting to the IEP on the NOREP is important. As long as the parent indicates that he/she does not consent or approve of the new IEP on the NOREP (and the parent puts that into motion by also contacting the ODR), the school CAN NOT put the new IEP into place. So it is sort-of a stay put state.... you do end up signing but you sign saying "I am signing this to show I got it but I am not consenting" and the old iep stays put.

Last edited by Irena; 06/02/16 09:47 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM