Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I need my son to start using some kind of program for math like EfoFex. He is in accelerated math and has a scribe but he REALLY needs to be more independent. Next year, 5th grade, they start Pre-Algebra. But, as much as we (the iep team and I) talk about this need for a software/AT/app to help him access his curriculum in meetings and such, it never really happens. And, yes, he has had an AT eval and all he got out of it was a blue tooth keyboard. I am so frustrated with how to get him access to his curriculum with technology. I know it's possible! But we never seem to get there. His IEP is fairly useless in the Assistive Tech because the paras and teachers need training in it as does DS at school with the curriculum from professionals. So, I am complaining/brainstorming about this with a few others on my Facebook group and a member pipes up and says the problem is you have to make sure that everything is specified, that AT training for teachers and paraprofessionals is included, that the IEP states who is responsible for training the teachers and the student, that it has to be allowed in every (or specific) class, on all tests, including state standardized tests, etc., etc. or teachers just find it too much trouble to figure out and use and it doesn't happen. I am thinking "Oh my gosh, this is exactly what is happening!" because nothing is specified in his iep about this. There is nothing in the iep about it specifically just a vague reference that the school will explore AT and apps to help DS get access to his math curriculum. Could I try putting in the iep something like (and just really roughly paraphrasing here), "my son needs software to help him access his math curriculum. AT-person (I'm thinking of specifying the AT consultant in the district who did his AT eval) will train my son, his 1-1 scribe/para and teacher on how to use said programs"? Does any one have any experience with doing this? Any insight? Thoughts?

B
    B
    That sounds good. I think it needs to be very specific and include training. What is EfoFex? We have the same issue and the AT people haven't even tried anything for math. One of the ladies said she tried something for advanced math and couldn't get it to work. She is still going to look into the situation, but I'm wondering if I should suggest EfoFex or how that works. I find this whole situation bizzare, how no one seems to know what to do about math. Surely there have been kids before us who can't write legibly but are still able to understand advanced math?

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Blackcat, here is link to Efofex website: http://www.efofex.com/ Apparently it is not useful until Pre-Algebra. A few parents on the facebook group I am in say it has changed their child's life. Polarbear has talked about Efofex as well.

B
    B
    Thanks! I'll check it out. I think DS is being put into either pre-algebra or algebra next year so it might be helpful.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    There was a thread a long time back that had apps and programs for dysgraphics. Might not be relevant anymore, and I can't find it.
    However, efofex is one and there's also this one:
    http://www.modmath.com/

Yes! I actually printed it out and have it as a hard copy!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Being specific is the only way you will know that the work is being done. And I'd push hard for that.

Provide access to appropriate math typing software and provide training to student would be on the accommodations or extra services page (whatever yours is called. The stuff that doesn't come with objectives, but is a service or change in programming that he needs). Any training for staff would go there.
    IEP objective might be: Max will use appropriate math typing software to complete 50 percent of math worksheets, homework, and tests. Or Max will solve 3/5 math problems within an organized math lesson, using math typing software.

Spaghetti, this is so incredibly helpful! Thank you so very much!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    We did all the research ourselves (and the training). Teachers were amazed and wanted efofex.

What did this look like? The training, I mean? Did you just buy the software and watch the tutorials?

B
    B
    The thing w/ the finger writing--is that called Notability? I am emailing suggestions to the AT team. So far they have tried Dragon and Google Docs or something for speech to text and DS prefers Dragon but they have to give him 10 prompts to make corrections.

P
    P
    I'm guessing part of the problem is that the staff just doesn't know what to do and as long as that situation is there, nothing will come of it. There isn't a lot of educational AT training or info out there for the professionals to help with typing math.

I also suspect this is a large part of what's up. FWIW, we've found that there is a higher level of knowledge of AT out there (in our district) among the AT folks who help high school students rather than elementary, so it might be worth asking at a district level for some help.

FWIW, neither ds or I thought efofex takes any specific training other than working through it on our own, but we're also math geeks so that might make a difference. DS first got efofex and used it when he was in pre-algebra, with no training from anyone other than looking at a few things with me.

OTOH, fwiw, ds didn't stick with efofex past Algegra - once he got into geometry he felt that, for him, he wasn't gaining anything in terms of time using efofex vs using handwriting. I don't entirely agree with him smile .... plus part of ds' issue with efofex had to do with using it at a time when it wasn't largely ported to the Mac (and ds not only had a Mac for a laptop, but he was using an iPad for almost everything else and he prefers the iPad for most of his work, except when he needs a large screen for reading from online textbooks). SO ds quit using efofex. HOWEVER... his mother is making him try it out again this summer.... not because I'm a tiger-mom (I am like the total non-tiger-mom lol)... but because his math homework really does take forever, and he's frustrated with how long it takes him to complete his homework during the school year. And... personally I think he's been beyond lucky that his math teachers think they can read his handwriting up till now... I'm guessing he's not always going to have teachers who can handle messy handwriting smile

So... that's where we're at - we have efofex, we found it easy to learn, didn't find it easy to use necessarily at the time ds was working in it (but that was mac-pc, not the software itself), and haven't worked with it for a few years.

Also, just for a totally random non-software note - fwiw, when ds was around your ds' age, he had a huge huge struggle with copy errors impacting math - switching or dropping signs, switching numbers etc. That's part of the reason he began using the computer (plus it saved him roughly 2/3 the time to finish his homework). However... as time has gone by... he no longer makes the copy errors frequently. He *does* make them from time to time, but he's gotten better at checking his work and also they just don't seem to happen as much. And when they do, he tends to now laugh at them as in, "yep, there goes my dysgraphia again!"... a

OK, I'm rambling now. I'd better get back to what I'm supposed to be doing at the moment smile

Best wishes,

polarbear

B
    B
    Does efofex work for algebra...i.e. showing your work solving equations?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM