Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #229667 04/18/16 12:24 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    If you've noticed my recent posts, 2e DS8 wants/needs some changes at school. He is currently a chronological 2nd grader in a 3rd through 8th mixed class of about fifteen mixed ability kids with two teachers. The older kids have pretty severe disabilities so they do work below their grade level.

For DS, his challenge areas are writing and math. He loves reading, science and history. His teachers want to discuss how to challenge him more and frustrate him less. So he needs challenge, remediation and accommodation.

This is what I have in mind for next year.

Michael Clay Thompson (Island level) for language arts on iBooks
    Beast Academy for math

He has previewed these and likes them. I know these are challenging in his weakest areas but I think part of his problem with his current assignments are that they're boring and drill like. He likes the BA monsters and I think he'll like the whimsical nature of MCT.

On science and history I'm thinking about enrichment to what the rest of the class is studying by loading higher level textbooks (or chapters of textbooks) and supplemental materials onto his iPad. This way he'll still be learning the same material as the rest of his class - just more in depth.

I'd like keyboarding and logic problems they have him on to continue.

Finally, I am going to suggest they implement some sort of a social skills program for this class.

This school has become the place kids end up if the local district doesn't meet a kid's needs. There are a lot of distractions because the kids are always stirring up drama with one another. And there are several intense personalities.

We mostly like the school. We like the parent control (see above) and flexibility to try different things. DS likes it there and they really care about the kids.

I'm interested in any feedback on these ideas.

C
    C
    Are you looking for social skills programs? Check this out...

http://www.skillstreaming.com

Depending on the problems the kids have I also like ... A cognitive behavioral approach called Positively! I would need to search to find the ISBN number and author. It is more for high school but if you are creative you can change the examples for younger kids. Change high school dance examples to play ground examples.

Last edited by Cookie; 05/31/16 08:29 PM. Reason: Added second book

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM