Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    T
    T
    She was 8 when diagnosed.
    We chose to homeschool for anxiety reasons (she is selectively mute) but also school reasons. ADHD wasn't a factor in the decision, but her general mental well being was. The anxiety was tied up in the academics or lack of.
    The ADHD is more managed now she is at home, plus all the secondary aspects of it can be monitored, e.g. she forgot to eat and drink at school, so we can now stop the after school food meltdowns, we can exercise her more etc.
    The only other testings she's had were the WPPSI at age 5, she still scored very high but with a big discrepancy between PSI, we were testing for issues with verbal and receptive language (for the mutism) so didn't look at why there were the variations in scores. She's also done Ravens (as part of an ADHD study)but the only reported score was 99+.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Is maladaptive daydreaming (MD) a real disorder, different from ADHD-PI?

After reading quite a lot in the last couple of weeks about inattentive ADHD, including some of the references provided here, I found MD mentioned a couple of times and realized that it describes what is going with my daughter closer than ADHD-PI. I understand it can manifest similarly and definitely can result in lack of attention in class and reduced focus, but, correct me if I am wrong here, ADHD inattention is slightly different in nature and isn't caused by overactive imagination, but more like issues with impulse control, emotional regulations and anxiety, making it difficult for the child to focus even if she wants to.

The most common ways to address MD are the same things already suggested here - reminder watch (arriving today!), caffeine, CBT, diet, sleep...

The reason it caught my attention so much is because it describes me even better than my daughter, specially when people mentioned that they look forward to times of the day when they can indulge into their daydreaming guilt-free. For me it is the swim practices for my kids, night time etc. I know low interest things are a huge trigger for me, even during the work meetings. I sort of stay tuned in, but with minimal attention to the details. I am no Walter Mitty though. Not yet anyway.

P
    P
    Maladaptive daydreaming has come up several times; here's one of the more detailed threads:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/202725/maladaptive_daydreaming.html

LAF Offline
    I don't believe there is a DSM for MDD.

From what I can tell the difference between MDD and regular daydreaming is the addictiveness. There is some anecdotal evidence that it may be sometimes treatable with SSRIs. I spoke to someone whose career is psychiatry and they felt that it was part of Fantasy Prone personality. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_prone_personality

I think with gifted kids that it is natural based on being a child and having a vivid imagination that they have these types of experiences, without it being MDD. However, it could also be Non-Autistic Motor Stereotypy - which has a much better prognosis and a similar description.

MDD's main characteristic appears to be the addictiveness of the fantasies (most prefer their fantasy worlds to reality, so much so that they remain in their worlds the majority of the time to where it affects day to day life on an often profound scale).

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Just want to provide a quick update... I think I'm finally moving in the right direction here.

First of all, the three things we introduced in early May (reminder watch, caffeine and iPad schedule) paid off - she got straight As for the first time since they started grading in the 3rd grade (she just finished the 6th). Yay!!! It was great to see her getting through the final weeks/tests without bombing anything!

Second of all, I finally got in touch with the school regarding her focus issues, bouncing grades, unstable scores etc... and was surprised about how open they were to an idea of providing extra monitoring, counseling etc - basically putting her on the radar finally. It doesn't require a 504 - it is done as RTI - intervention for the first year.

So thanks to everybody here for the great advice and motivating me to act!!!
    Feels great to finally be doing something.

Last edited by Chicagomom; 05/29/16 05:08 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That is fabulous news! So happy to hear she's experiencing success.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM