Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Ditto... Have not read it but I will now that I know about it.

Looking it up online and reading a brief description, it brought to mind a decades-old book, Flowers for Algernon, in which several characters were based on the author's observed experiences of individuals with whom he was acquainted.

E
    E
    On my To Read list, also!

Have any of you read The Rosie Project? I adore that book. It's a decidedly positive angle on ASD (IMHO). It's also a smart rom-com, very clever.

A
    A
    Has anyone read _The Prodigy's Cousin_? (Ruthsatz and Stephens)I am about halfway through it. It's a collection of largely-anecdotal evidence regarding the presumed-genetic links between child prodigy and child autism. Some of the stories in the book describe situations much like the family I grew up in (allowing for differences between that era and the current one.) Although generally a globally-gifted PG, I had prodigy characteristics and my little brother had autistic behaviors (Asperger's, we know now), while my sister was a very bright and social NT. This set up a kind of family dynamic that I see echoed in some of the stories in the book.

The book is not really patronizing, even though there is a lot of ooh-ing and ah-ing language over prodigy characteristics and implicit judgment of the undesirability of some milder autistic behaviors that are simply more weird (by NT standards) than they are problematic. Both of these sets of characteristics are stuff that in my family we were taught to deny and hide, as often as not. The families in the book don't deny or hide them, or they come to stop doing so. That's what I've really found interesting in reading their stories. It's like alternate history to me.

A polymath all my life; extreme measures never managed to diminish it. Happy to discuss being PG.
    E
    E
    Alcyone- thank you for the recommend. On To Read list! Very interested in fiction, memoir, etc. with these themes.

I watched a TED talk by an author with an autistic son, who wrote The Boy Who Fell to Earth. Kathy Lette. The reviews indicate it's maybe not a great work of literature, but worth a read for a feeling of community . Also, it sounds entertaining. So adding that one to the list, for light summer poolside purposes. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM