Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Right now DS is just in a rut of only really wanting to read Magic tree house chapter books. He'll branch out and read any nonfiction really that I bring home, but he's not great at selecting books for himself. He bought a very simple picture book at the book fair that his little sister will get more use out of :-) He turns 7 next week and I'm gifting him a few new options.

I was also wondering about determining a ballpark "level" because it makes it easier to buy books online. But I can just continue to look for a preview and make my own assessment on each title.

P
    P
    If he's in that Magic Tree House series-mood, there's several other series that are just a slight step up and might appeal, while getting him more willing to branch out a bit. Magic School Bus chapter books (not picture), A to Z mysteries (yes, there's 26 of them), and Jigsaw Jones mysteries come to mind. These are probably easily found at most libraries; the first two can usually also be bought in bulk via Scholastic.

Like others, I read to my kids every night, and learn a lot about their reading levels by which books they finish on their own, and which they leave for me to read.

B
    B
    How about the "Time Warp Trio". Like the Magic Tree House books but slightly higher reading level and a bit more edgy.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by mom2R&R
    Right now DS is just in a rut of only really wanting to read Magic tree house chapter books.
    Try the Secrets of Droon series - that was the series we did right after Magic Tree House. The books in Droon series get progressively higher in reading level. We followed it up with Flat Stanley series.

V
    V
    I think you just answered your own question. If he's reading Magic Treehouse, enjoys it and can understand it, I would aim for books at a similar level or slightly higher. The Magic Treehouse books seem to be at DRA 20-30 or around M depending on which guided reading scale you use. Have you tried the non-fiction companions to the Magic Treehouse books? They are often more advanced than the actual stories and contain a lot of new vocabulary.

This is a good list:
    https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/level-m

My child, who also liked Magic Treehouse books, really enjoyed Freckle Juice and My Father's Dragon.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    If he's in that Magic Tree House series-mood, there's several other series that are just a slight step up and might appeal, while getting him more willing to branch out a bit. Magic School Bus chapter books (not picture), A to Z mysteries (yes, there's 26 of them), and Jigsaw Jones mysteries come to mind. These are probably easily found at most libraries; the first two can usually also be bought in bulk via Scholastic.

Thanks for these recommendations. DS6 read every MTH we could find; he's now halfway through A to Z Mysteries and will probably be done by mid-June. I'll get him Magic School Bus chapter books and Jigsaw Jones next. Appreciate it.

P
    P
    When my son was in the 2-7 age range, we used our library extensively. I took him to the library once a week or once every other week, and just let him roam among the shelves and pick books that he wanted to borrow. We sometimes borrowed 40 books at a time... I think at this age reading a variety of books is great because there is so much they can discover through books. I honestly didn't think about reading levels at all. Books that the kid wants to read and can understand are definitely at his level.

We also asked the librarians to help. Just told them what books my son had enjoyed, and they rattled off a long list of similar books.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM