Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi, I have a 3 year old that is exhibiting some unique abilities and interests (high level of abstract thinking, surprising ability to problem solve, obsessed with math (lots of mental math - addition/subtraction/multiplication), reading in Chinese, reading in English - a second language for him - at a 3rd grade level, etc.)

Sometime in the next year, I'd like to get him tested so that I can use that as a data point to decide between various schooling options for him. Ideally, I can find someone that can do more than an IQ test (and provide a comprehensive assessment of his strengths/weaknesses in all relevant areas).

Does anyone have a suggestion for someone in the area that is experienced with the preschool age group?

Thanks!!

P
    P
    bump

T
    T
    What type of schooling options are you trying to decide between?

Fwiw, our experience of testing a four year old (who exhibited similar attributes at a similar age to your son) was rather unsatisfying. This was partly due to the tester's limited experience with children like this, but largely due to ceiling effects, developmental idiosyncrasies and age-appropriate immaturity. So we established a floor rather than a ceiling, and some parts of the tests were hindered by motor skill issues. Our son tends to develop major new skills in step functions, and at just-turned six would possibly have a very different sub-test profile from the tests administered 13 months ago. One more factor to consider is that DYS requires scores that are no more than a year old, but will only accept children from five onward, so testing before age 4 might not be optimal. Additionally, most test instruments require a lengthy break before re-testing.

You might find it best to go with your gut on early education and test later when the tests are more likely to be truly illuminating. When we faced a similar question about education at a similar age, we were most drawn to Reggio Emilia and Montessori philosophies. We landed at a Montessori school where DS has been very happy and the curriculum and teachers have been very flexible, allowing radical subject acceleration while working at his own pace in a multi-age classroom. But implementation of Montessori can vary and some schools are much more rigid, so finding the right fit will depend on the individual school and especially on the principal. The best advice I was given about early education was to seek out schools that emphasize social justice because they tend to be most oriented toward meeting each child where they are, differentiating, accepting diversity, and serving individual needs.

Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM