Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    My take on this based on my own DS17 is that while many kids grow out of irrational fears. There might be something particularly triggery they may never get over. For example my son still freaks out about Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. It's always bothered him and still does. But I haven't seen him get any new phobia's. Then again he may just have learned how to avoid what bothers him, I've never seen him watch a horror movie either.

As to Disney. It is quite possible to go to Disney and never get close to any of the characters. Although you probably will see some from afar particularly if they watch a parade. (Honestly I don't know what the fuss is about, what's the big deal about getting a picture with a costumed character.) When my kids were younger we went to Disney 1-3 times a year. But we spend our time most on the rides. As chay says they are really fairly easy to avoid.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by HJA
    To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think the psychologist said anything that we hadn't already kind of said to our son but I do think it helped to have it spelled out in a very practical way. I also think it really helped to have someone other than parents talking to him about stuff like this.

This. Therapy does impact quality of life, too, even if insurance does cover it, because it's yet another appointment for busy families and gas costs money too, but having another adult kids can trust and talk to about this saying (hopefully) the right things helps. YMMV.

F
    fjzh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Tigerle, thankfully there's an in-network provider right in town (next to our library, actually) and our schedule is lightening up since it's summer. I'm all for my daughter having another trustable adult in her life.

U
    U
    So, the truth is, DD dislikes therapy. She is very clear that she likes her therapist, but she is very embarrassed by the fact that she goes and constantly says that she dislikes talking to anyone outside the family about her issues. I think this is a middle-school thing. I do think it's been helpful, and she even says the same, but she asks a lot when she can stop going. It has given us tools as a family, but the honest response it's that it's a bit of a bone of contention here.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    Originally Posted by HJA
    To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think the psychologist said anything that we hadn't already kind of said to our son but I do think it helped to have it spelled out in a very practical way. I also think it really helped to have someone other than parents talking to him about stuff like this.

This. Therapy does impact quality of life, too, even if insurance does cover it, because it's yet another appointment for busy families and gas costs money too, but having another adult kids can trust and talk to about this saying (hopefully) the right things helps. YMMV.

Therapy has been very good for my DS17. And at his age, it's HIS decision if he wants/needs to go. I'm sure a large part of it for him is having a trusted adult that he can talk to who isn't family. It helped when I took him to a different therapist at 12, and it's been helping to have him at his current therapist.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM