Originally Posted by eco21268
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Some people find it truly disturbing to be asked to share about themselves-- even if they generally want to comply.
I may be overthinking this, but I'm stuck on the idea that it's self-preservation, for some of our kids who haven't been treated especially well.

I really like pb's idea about having a stock answer on hand. It was really helpful to me when I realized that "tell me about yourself" in a job interview could be answered with references to education and work experience. Before I understood that, I always felt like a deer in the headlights.

Yes, completely get this -- my son was asked by the school yearbook folks "tell us something no one else knows about you" --- when what they really meant is , something that "few people" know about you --

seriously, if literally NO ONE knows this thing about me, well maybe that's the way it should be.
Of course he gave some deep, introspective answer that sounded vaguely depressive and the school counselor had to call me up and tell me what he said, althoug she herself said she wasn't worried about him at all.
SIGH.
Well after hearing the question, I was like, yup, maybe someone should edit the questions for the kids with less understanding of when to edit for themselves.

Yikes.