Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I haven't had time to read the article yet, so I'm holding back from commenting until I do.. but.... fwiw....

Originally Posted by eco21268
    Her response: "Yes, and he needs to understand that he made a COMMITMENT."

*REALLY*????? and yikes!!!! I can't believe they said that. (OTOH, I guess I can considering some of the clueless things school staff have said to us when advocating for our 2e kids over the years... but still....)

Honestly, is it at all fair to frame this as a student made a commitment? Did he honestly have a choice re whether or not to go to school? This is nothing at all like deciding to play on a soccer team, signing up for the season, and then quitting after the first game. Our kids are in school because the law says they have to go to school. We may make choices to attend optional school programs or take certain classes, and of course the student should strive to meet all the class requirements as best he/she can... but you can't frame any of that into the student being responsible because they "made a commitment". Well, I can't lol.

Sorry - hope you didn't think I was ranting at you eco, I wasn't. That comment just really rubbed me the wrong way. Good thing I wasn't the parent present at school at the time it was made smile

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 05/21/16 07:20 AM.
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Her response: "Yes, and he needs to understand that he made a COMMITMENT."

*REALLY*????? and yikes!!!! I can't believe they said that. (OTOH, I guess I can considering some of the clueless things school staff have said to us when advocating for our 2e kids over the years... but still....)

Honestly, is it at all fair to frame this as a student made a commitment? Did he honestly have a choice re whether or not to go to school? This is nothing at all like deciding to play on a soccer team, signing up for the season, and then quitting after the first game. Our kids are in school because the law says they have to go to school. We may make choices to attend optional school programs or take certain classes, and of course the student should strive to meet all the class requirements as best he/she can... but you can't frame any of that into the student being responsible because they "made a commitment". Well, I can't lol.

Sorry - hope you didn't think I was ranting at you eco, I wasn't. That comment just really rubbed me the wrong way. Good thing I wasn't the parent present at school at the time it was made smile
    polarbear

ITA. If I'd been thinking on my feet, I'd have responded with something to the effect that if that is the case, the school has also committed to supporting him and meeting his needs as a learner.

The program is a "choice" program, meaning he is not "entitled" to be there. I don't think I'd have heard this at the school he is assigned to attend.

It sheds light on how they view the program, doesn't it.

P
    P
    Maybe the school nurse is our most under-utilized school professional?

I think this may depend on the particular school nurse. When DD was enrolled at the local public all started out well but went competely to he!! when new school nurse came on board. She and horrible principal seemed to validate each other's opinions. Nurse "didn't believe" DD's diagnoses, found "parents' claims to be unbelievable" and contacted our pediatrician to request "documentation of all concerns you have had about this child since birth". This was all included in our DOE complaint but she continued her aggressive behavior with other kids after DD left the school. A friend begged me for help because this same nurse was single handedly preventing her daughter from getting a 504 for a physical disability. After sending that parent to Wrightslaw and providing some basic information she was able to get 504 meeting convened, with personnel from central office in attendance. According to the description I heard this nurse was willing to do almost anything to block the 504 - no idea why - and threw a total hissy fit when the rest of the team unanimously voted in favor of providing it. During the meeting psychology student (intern?) in attendance gave a little speech about how important it is for children to feel safe with school nurse and afterwards principal apologized to my friend for the nurse's totally inappropriate behavior. Nurse left the school under not great circumstances a while later...

So... ummm... I'm very glad to hear that some have had awesome experiences with school nurses who advocate for their kids but no unfortunately it's not a universal phenomenon.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    As with all other professional roles, some school nurses are wonderful resources, and others...not so much. I think the best ones care about children professionally (not in an over-involved, personal way), are extremely knowledgeable and competent in their own profession, and know what their roles are in the school. Where I've seen issues, it's usually been in one of these areas. A typical scenario is if the nurse (or other professional role) attempts to act outside of his/her expertise, such as by making unfounded determinations regarding the presence or absence of mental illness. Another one is when the staff member loses objectivity about a child, due to personal relationships (either positive or negative) with the child or the child's parent, for instance, either discounting or blindly believing uncorroborated reports about a child's behavior, based on preconceived notions.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    E
    Now that I think of it--I did notice one of the main positive things the nurse had to say (about both of my kids, this year) was that since she'd never met them, it increased their credibility. Ha ha! I knew what she meant, but it does follow that a kid with health issues (mental or otherwise) might see the nurse more often than those without.

She did take time to explain to DS that if he had a panic event, he could come there and she showed him where he could sit (private) and reassured him this is a very common problem in the school.

She also explained to me that *any* absence related in *any* way to the diagnoses on the 504 is can be coded that way, which I didn't understand before.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM