Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    maisey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am not sure how I feel about this article I read. On the one hand it is great that HR departments are looking into hiring people on the spectrum. On the other hand I am not comfortable with my child being thought of as a gold nugget who will be expected to be a little robot who never asks for a day off or raise. I know I should be happy that adults with ASD are being hired, but I fear this way of thinking of people with ASD will lead to a number of them being exploited. I also fear these employees on the AS will not know when they are being taken advantage of.

Article here:
    http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...sider-hiring-autistic-employee/84340900/

Last edited by maisey; 05/15/16 07:45 AM.
    E
    E
    I think it's pretty gross, TBH, for the same reasons as you.

The point is a good one--lots of high-ability people may not present as the best candidate in a job interview, because of social communication issues.

That super high autistic GPA is a stereotype, though. So is the part about being very productive, etc. Although I wish it were true. smile

I
    I
    Originally Posted by maisey
    I am not sure how I feel about this article I read.
    Although the author writes on behalf of promoting positive employment opportunities for his grandson and others on the autism spectrum, the organization which he is affiliated with, Autism Speaks, is controversial as discussed on old threads.

Building bridges of understanding (rather than fueling controversy) may depend upon carefully considering what has been said rather than taking a point out of context and exaggerating or creating hyperbole. Anything taken to extreme... is extreme.

For example, this post states "expected to be a little robot". The article did not state this, this was generated by the poster reading between the lines.

This post also states "never asks for a day off or a raise" whereas the article stated "rarely" rather than "never". In my experience, raises are usually discussed annually in conjunction with a review which takes into account job level, length of service, performance, and attendance. Therefore asking for a raise seems to rarely occur, and may not be unique to this population. Similarly, days off are usually allocated by length of service and may be divided into several categories: vacation, personal days, sick time and/or medical leave, bereavement, maternity and/or family leave. Vacation days may typically need to be scheduled well in advance, whereas personal days are generally "paid out" if not taken. The other categories of time off may be protected by law, providing equal/equitable access for all. If the author is indicating good attendance, possibly he could have done that more directly and cited statistics. His wording has me wondering what meaning he is intending to convey... For example, I wonder whether persons on the ASD spectrum tend to have fewer children and therefore take less maternity/family leave???

This post refutes "super high autistic GPA" as being a stereotype. The article actually said "40 percent have average to above-average intellectual capabilities" and "my grandson has autism and currently holds a 3.6 grade-point average".

This post also argues that "the part about being very productive" is a stereotype. The article only mentioned "employees who pay attention to detail and/or follow procedures".

When a person argues against something which has not been said, this is called a "strawman" argument and is considered a flawed logic, or a logical fallacy.

Interested readers may wish to look to the referenced source documents, the "positive professional research" and published articles which the author mentioned as having been created by the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM).

maisey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Nice post Indigo. Thank you. Very helpful and well worded.

Last edited by maisey; 05/15/16 10:21 AM.
    E
    E
    Guilty (of "strawman") as charged--I didn't intend to argue, though.

I thought OP was asking for an emotional response to the article. I don't have time to dig into all the reasons one might have an intuitively negative response to something, but usually can figure out something logical if time permits.

To me, the gold mine/nugget analogy is offensive. I appreciate the author is trying to make a pro-disability statement, but it comes off (again, to me) as insensitive. YMMV. smile

I
    I
    As a purely emotional response, I'll offer this: The trend of changing from a supportive "personnel" department to a legal compliance function of "human resources" and then to "human capital" is rather offensive and seems to devalue human beings.

That is somewhat separate from the OP's article, but it sets the employment stage on which this play takes place.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by maisey
    Nice post Indigo. Thank you. Very helpful and well worded.
    Thank you! smile

maisey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Guilty (of "strawman") as charged--I didn't intend to argue, though.

I thought OP was asking for an emotional response to the article. I don't have time to dig into all the reasons one might have an intuitively negative response to something, but usually can figure out something logical if time permits.

I was. smile

To me, the gold mine/nugget analogy is offensive. I appreciate the author is trying to make a pro-disability statement, but it comes off (again, to me) as insensitive. YMMV. smile

Ditto, but Indigo did help me look at a few things from a differant angle.

Last edited by maisey; 05/15/16 01:02 PM.
    P
    P
    Has anyone read 'The speed of dark' by Elizabeth Moon?

maisey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Have not read it, but will now that I know about it.
    Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM