Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by aeh
    You'll notice that the team must meet at least annually to review, among other things, the results of any evaluative data.

http://www2.ed.gov/parents/needs/speced/iepguide/index.html

States have various regulations on how quickly the team must reconvene to consider the results of independent evaluations, whether obtained at parent expense, or as a district-paid IEE after an evaluation deemed unsatisfactory by the parents. (10 school days is not uncommon.)

So you are saying, that even something like my outside speech eval requires a team meeting? No one will answer my question as to why we are having a meeting, other than to say we need speech goals.

Unfortunately by the time the meeting happens, it will be about a month after I gave them the eval.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    And the real dates of their awareness of suspected disability are quite important, in the event that she needs disability protections from that period of time.

I just went back and looked at the 504 form that I filled out in November, and in the "other relevant information" section, I wrote, "The new diagnosis of autism probably warrants reexamining whether DD would benefit from an IEP, rather than a 504 plan. In particular, she would benefit from specialized instruction in social behavior and in appreciating the concerns and perspectives of others." I'm working on an email to the school psychologist with all of this now, but I have the dated emails and forms.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Good. Especially in the case of an ASD diagnosis, there may be overlap between behavior that is a manifestation of the child's disability, and behavior perceived by school authorities to be rule-breaking. It's important that she not be penalized for her disability.

(BTW, if that's your child's real name, you might want to remove it from your last post.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes, I am. The outside speech eval may very well be the reason you are having this (rather belated) meeting, as supported by the mention of speech goals.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    (BTW, if that's your child's real name, you might want to remove it from your last post.)

Oops! thank you aeh.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Do you guys think I should point this out or leave it alone? She is getting the IEP anyway, but I don't like the implication that we hid the ball on them when we were actually doing everything we could to be sure they had all the information.

Since I am the world's worst advocate, anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. smile

I think you should point it out so that the records are accurate. It sounds like you have a very supportive school, but if that ever changes--you might begin to have trouble remembering who said what/when/how and the document will help you keep your facts straight. What's the point in documenting inaccuracies?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Yes, I am. The outside speech eval may very well be the reason you are having this (rather belated) meeting, as supported by the mention of speech goals.

Sadly, I don't think this really occurred to them except that they met with the special ed director, asking what they do if the parent won't sign the IEP. And then he told them they have to plan a meeting. Basically they already had a team meeting to review the IEE (without us) so now they need a fake meeting w/ us for the paperwork. Seems like everything around here is 30 days. Like 30 days after an eval is complete they have to write an IEP. So they are probably not concerned about it being a month.

P
    P
    I agree that I'd point out the error in documentation... I would write an email to the IEP team that is very specific about the dates that you communicated with the school over the past year.

Have you signed the IEP document yet? There should be a place in the document for parent comments, and I'd suggest adding your notes about when you gave the school documentation to the comments section too.

The one caveat I'd add - are you worried that this may cause ruffled feathers with the school team, and if so, are you happy up to this point with the school's actions? Was it difficult to get the IEP or not-so-difficult? If you are overall happy and for some reason didn't want to point this out or make an issue of it, I'd consider letting it slide - only because you perceive a low risk of getting into a legal tangle later on, and also because you do have your set of documentation (from the note you mentioned above sent to the school in November) showing that you'd made the school aware of the eval. You'll still always have that evidence if you need it.

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    then sent it again before her October 2015 triennial review. The counselor didn't realize at the time that the review was actually a triennial,

I have a question that's really unrelated to the advice you'd requested so I apologize that it's a bit OT, but fwiw, I'm confused about something in general. You've mentioned your dd had a triennial review in October, but she was on a 504 plan, not an IEP. I thought (or at least the way it works in our state), students who qualify for IEPs have triennial reviews at which continuing eligibility for services is assessed. Students on IEPs also have an annual meeting to review progress toward goals and to update goals/accommodations as needed for the next school year. Students who have 504 plans have an annual meeting to update the 504 and/or determine if it needs to stay in place, but there is no triennial review for 504 students.

Is a triennial review for 504 students typical elsewhere?

polarbear

E
    E
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    The one caveat I'd add - are you worried that this may cause ruffled feathers with the school team, and if so, are you happy up to this point with the school's actions? Was it difficult to get the IEP or not-so-difficult? If you are overall happy and for some reason didn't want to point this out or make an issue of it, I'd consider letting it slide - only because you perceive a low risk of getting into a legal tangle later on, and also because you do have your set of documentation (from the note you mentioned above sent to the school in November) showing that you'd made the school aware of the eval. You'll still always have that evidence if you need it.

I'm elaborating a little because what pb said here made me remember something. At DS' 504 meeting in sixth grade (not the more recent one, to which I brought an advocate), there were several factually false statements made about what teachers had and had not been doing, and some things that were inaccurate about how the program functions. At the time, I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be petty, nor did I want to ruffle feathers, and didn't see it as terribly relevant. I was also, frankly, surprised and confused in the moment.

Not long after, I had a conversation with the counselor, who informed me that if I felt the meeting had been anything but supportive, then I had "cognitive distortions and needed counseling." I said that I wasn't sure how to perceive the meeting, because of misrepresentations that had not been corrected or clarified. The counselor told me it was dishonest of *me* to not say anything at the time. I still have no idea what she meant.

I had no idea I'd be tangling with his school for 504/IEP, didn't know his correct diagnosis yet, and didn't know he would struggle to the degree he has. We didn't have any of these problems at his previous school, where everyone had always been very supportive of DS and he did well.

I doubt very much you would be accused of being "dishonest" if you don't correct those points of fact, but you just never know when people are going to start acting...weird.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Is a triennial review for 504 students typical elsewhere?
    Aha! I think you have found the root of some confusion! Yes, in our school system, there is supposed to be a full evaluation (with testing) for 504 students every three years, to see if they still need the 504 plan. I am not sure whether that is federally mandated, state mandated, or just the policy of our school district.

We have not signed the IEP document yet, because it has not been written yet. This meeting was just to go over the eligibility determination for an IEP, at which it was determined that she does need one. Getting it was not terribly difficult once we got to the point of having an evaluation, at least not compared to some stories I've heard. I would like to stay on good terms with the team, especially considering that DD is in the first of seven planned years at this school. I did email the school psychologist (cc'ing the counselor and principal) about the date issue, putting it as one of a list of minor corrections, and I got back a brief email saying she would update the evaluation. The email was a little ambiguous about whether she will update the date part specifically or just the other stuff (the others really were picayune, like preeclampsia not eclampsia), but my inclination at this point is to let it slide. I feel like they have generally done their best to comply with the rules, and to do what's best for DD, so I don't want to get super picky about it. I think my email will be sufficient if we ever need to go back and argue about dates.

DD's grades are pretty low, mostly because of missed assignments during a bad spell this spring, and I was able to point that out during the meeting, too. I think no one had looked at her grades for this semester until I mentioned it, and the principal said something like, "This is a kid who should be getting all A's in her sleep," so they will pay attention to that now. I don't actually care about C's on her report card in sixth grade, but I will obviously care a lot more in ninth if she can't get it turned around by then.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM