Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Idly browsing while recovering from a hard day's morel hunting and saw this:

link

I found the link an interesting argument in support of a pointier candidate.

The argument presented makes logical sense to me and I was hoping that others, particularly those who had attended Ultra Competitive schools or (even more relevantly) recently sent a child to one, would share their perspectives on the argument.

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/08/16 06:29 AM.

Become what you are
    V
    V
    Interesting link.

The part where I would disagree with his analysis is the statistical tabulation of World-class vs Strong. The challenge is this is a highly subjective demarcation. In my experience/judgement the World-class percentage of any of the classes is much smaller. I would say closer to 10% of the class rather than 50% of the class. I would agree for that pool admission rate is 90+%.

The strong pool is where all the struggles are. Given that there are all kinds of strong students with perfect A's etc who have not invented the next great thing yet. This is where the struggle is.

Also note this statistics leaves out all the special interest groups: Alumni etc.

H
    H
    I thought it was an interesting point-of-view and it left me to question whether our idea of what "well-rounded" means has changed much over the years?

P
    P
    I think in order to get in Harvard one needs to be well-rounded AND have a big spike. But my question is: honestly, what bad things will happen to you if you don't get in Harvard?

M
    M
    Looking at the author's profile, I think he would have been accepted into Harvard even if he was just well rounded and not have a spike. His application was phenomenal.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    And I think it's worth considering whether, if one needs to change oneself to be admitted to the college of one's choice, that college will actually be good for one's long-term development.

What I do like about this author's perspective is its emphasis on pursuing your passions, and choosing supplementary activities based on their internal value, and not their external value.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Idly browsing while recovering from a hard day's morel hunting...
    Almost completely unrelated... but we found 6 morels growing in our front yard today!

I read this and kind of laughed. Hemingway never went to university! Twain, Poe, Melville, Dahl, and many other writers never went to university (ie. any university, never mind one of the elite ones) - AND they're not exceptions. The list goes on and on across numerous fields - which many parents tend to forget.

The biggest myth is that Harvard, MIT, and other top ranked universities are the be all and end all. Nothing is further from the truth.

Even a top, world-class pediatric neurosurgeon who barely graduated high school went to a community college - http://nymag.com/nymetro/health/features/12470/index1.html; Harvard would never have accepted him with his kind of track record. He just wasn't groomed for it so to speak regardless of his potential and his eventual career success.

IMHO, Harvard has absolutely no interest in accepting and/or mentoring regardless -- UNLESS there is a well-defined, well-demarcated track record of achievement and success - usually set by exams and test scores and usually through certain schools and/or teachers. Otherwise it's too big a risk for Harvard or MIT. They want 'evidence' of a student's potential -- a paper/digital trail -- that makes a candidate stand out from the pack.

Zucks went to Exeter - a well documented feeder school for Harvard and regarded as the top, or one of the top, prep schools in the country - certainly one of the most exclusive, prestigious schools in the US.

Gates went to Lakeside, another private, exclusive school.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by aeh
    And I think it's worth considering whether, if one needs to change oneself to be admitted to the college of one's choice, that college will actually be good for one's long-term development.

What I do like about this author's perspective is its emphasis on pursuing your passions, and choosing supplementary activities based on their internal value, and not their external value.

Absolutely this ^^^^^

I have always loathed even the thought of the charade of excessive numbers of resume bolstering extra curriculars.

Become what you are
    OP Offline
    That is a very lucky find!

Become what you are
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM