Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Okay, this is my opinion, and ONLY my opinion, but if she can skip a grade, see how far you can push it. If they only test to see if she can skip one grade, push for two and see what the tests say. The farther you can push the grade levels, to the point that it is a challenge, the more likely it is that her needs will be met. Does that sound crazy?

L
    L
    I would agree that every gifted program is different. In our experience, the "title" of a class can tell you very little about the actual challenge level as compared with a regular grade-leveled class. Also, every single school will be different - a challenging second grade program at one school may actually be harder than an easy third grade program at another school.

Following this thread, also. Facing possible single-subject acceleration of one DYS this year and double acceleration in one subject for another DYS. Grade skips might actually be easier, but because of programming at our particular schools, subject acceleration may not be a bad place to start.

I would also agree with trying to meet the child's needs now, with possible need for future modification. Even if our one DYS has a single subject acceleration now, we expect he will need more in the future...but not necessarily all at once, KWIM? He will be quite a bit younger in the class he will be placed in, so a single subject skip alone will present some unique challenges.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM