Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Based on all you've done and the current situation, it seems reasonable to follow your idea of trying homeschooling given it is feasible for your family. Give him a chance to embrace learning and feel good about himself again... you can always use some of the time to work on his EF challenges.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    I don't want to have to fight, and cite the 504, every time something goes awry.
    I hear you! And yet, citing the 504 can become automatic and unemotional for both you and the teachers, as they learn to make their compliance with this student's unique support needs ingrained, and routine.

I would have been perfectly happy to accept that oversights happen, if the teacher was then willing to be flexible about grading it late--but DS would be graded late regardless of the reason so that was just too much to deal with.
    This could be an occasion to document each specific incident of lack of compliance and the impact on the grade, as it occurs. Keeping dated, written documentation in an advocacy log at home may be helpful, because then you can extract a collection of facts to present at an advocacy meeting. This also provides a history of facts if you need to escalate the issue.

I don't think he can be expected to learn the EF stuff without contextualized instruction.
    Agreed. Whatever his learning environment next year, the further development of EF skills may be a great goal.

I do what I can, but I'm not there.
    Right. The role of parent in this process may be that of documenting at home, following up with school for compliance.

I don't think they are ever going to agree to evaluate him.
    Have you contacted them in writing with your best list of facts and evidence, to request the evaluation?

I just don't want to waste all of this energy any more.
    Wherever he goes, the need for advocacy may present itself.

Kid's lost his love of learning anything academic, is moody and anxious, and generally unhappy.
    Clearly something must change. That may mean changing the advocacy approach, and/or gaining an IEP, and/or changing to a different learning environment. What are his thoughts on what he like to see changed?

E
    OP Offline
    E
    I've requested evaluation thrice since third grade, and been denied thrice. The last request was well-executed and accompanied by a very expensive neuropsychological report I obtained on the recommendation of the program coordinator and counselor.

See what I mean?

Yes, something is going to change. DS would prefer to just be left alone for now and be allowed to flunk out so he doesn't have to do anything more. I'm going to make him finish the year but next year is different.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    indigo: at 504 meeting earlier this year, I brought my "documentation" and tried to refer to it and was told to "lay last year to rest." That was with my advocate in tow. Kinda hard to know what to do in that moment. I assume they thought I was there to complain, which was not the case. The 504 coordinator looked at me like I'd grown a second head when I asked to have the language "and teachers will reply" to the "weekly check-in" accommodation. Same for other accommodations where I asked they be made more explicit.

Yuck, just not going to do this any more. I hear you on advocacy, but monitoring DS 504 compliance takes too much time and it just doesn't feel like the best thing to do with our lives.

I
    I
    I've requested evaluation thrice since third grade, and been denied thrice. The last request was well-executed and accompanied by a very expensive neuropsychological report I obtained on the recommendation of the program coordinator and counselor.

See what I mean?
    Yes, from the information you shared I believe I would also be at a loss as to how to try again for an IEP, unless there was a change in personnel, or someone to escalate to such as your state Department of Education. ((hugs))

I
    I
    indigo: at 504 meeting earlier this year, I brought my "documentation" and tried to refer to it and was told to "lay last year to rest."
    Looks like they wanted 504 compliance feedback information in real-time, however their statement may have provided a great opportunity to mention that it is often helpful to recap what did work and what did not in the previous year's 504, in order to learn from past experiences (both positive and negative) and craft an even better plan in the subsequent (current) year.

The 504 coordinator looked at me like I'd grown a second head when I asked to have the language "and teachers will reply" to the "weekly check-in" accommodation. Same for other accommodations where I asked they be made more explicit.
    And so they demonstrate that you have hit a nerve, focusing in on the weak spot(s) of the prior year's 504. The 504 is essentially your kid's lifeline in school and you want it to be strong: "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link."

In case you felt badly after that meeting, I want to encourage you that you did great in introducing these points into the conversation. smile

I hear you on advocacy, but monitoring DS 504 compliance takes too much time and it just doesn't feel like the best thing to do with our lives.
    I hear you. You know your situation best and I trust you to make the best decision.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM