Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #230205 05/04/16 12:54 PM
    L
    Lilone Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello!

I know this may be a long shot but is anyone here familiar with the Barrington 220 school district in the suburbs of Chicago? We currently live in the district and my child is being tested for the district's self-contained gifted classroom. He has already tested into the pull out program at his home school. I'm trying to figure out what is the appropriate placement for him as I have heard conflicting accounts of the self-contained program. A parent perspective would be great!

Thanks in advance for your help!

P
    P
    Hi! What a small world! I also have a child in Dist. 220. Mine is in 2nd and has done very well on the testing. However, I find the whole process a bit of a black hole and haven't been able to get more than a vague/general answer to any of my questions about the process. Its nice to find someone out on this forum because I don't feel comfortable talking to other parents in real life -- afraid they will think I'm just bragging about my child. It sounds like you've got more information than I have about the process. How did you find out your child already tested into the pull out? I was told that information won't be sent until the summer.

Last edited by PiskyBlue; 05/10/16 08:57 AM.
    L
    Lilone Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello! Thanks for your response. I feel the same way - it's difficult to mention this in real life, especially in a competitive area! I also have a second grader so we are new to all of this extended "stuff".

We've gotten two letters from the district. The first we received the last week of April, requesting permission to administer the WISC to our child for consideration to be placed in the self-contained classroom at Hough. The second letter came last Monday, which stated that our child had qualified for extended math and reading at the home school for next year and then gave details about the program. The WISC letter stated that decisions about the self-contained class would be made by early June. I haven't yet heard anything about testing dates for the WISC.

Do you have any more information? Do you know anyone in either program? I can tell you more about who I've spoken with and what information they've goven me. I'd love to chat in more detail on PM if you are willing!

Thanks!

F
    F
    Welcome neighbors... we are in Schaumburg D54!

P
    P
    Hi frannieandejsmom!
    This really is a small world! I grew up in D54. I was in their gifted program a long, long, long time ago. It was useless back then. Literally pulled you out (we were bussed to another school) for 1/2 day a week to basically hang out with other kids. I was also in D211 before there were any AP classes. I've heard they improved a lot since.
    PiskyBlue

L
    Lilone Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello!

How do you like D54? I read about it online -
    The gifted magnet program looks great!

A
    AAC Offline
    A
    We are in central illinois. I am curious about gifted programming in the state, though, dont know if its different in countries/disctricts

N
    N
    My daughter has been in D54 magnet program for 6 years. She's graduating 8th grade this year. It's been generally a great experience for her. Not perfect but better than going to the neighborhood school

H
    H
    Lilone - sending you a pm

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM