Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Deb-
    We have found an OT nearby and will start seeing her in 3 weeks. I know he needs medical OT. I just think some of the things that are happening in school need to be addressed in school.

They are just so snotty to deal with. I don't know how those people can face themselves in the mirror. They are shameful.

They did agree to do the DAPE assessment, but I could tell from the tone of the conversation that nothing was going to be found that indicated support. We have a 9 year old who is unable to catch a ball, dribble a ball, throw a ball at a target or with any amount of strength, etc. The PE teacher says he's just like half the other kids in her class!!! BALONEY!! I said that maybe the whole class of kids should be assessed for LDs. I said that while it may be true that other kids have similar problems, Mite has an IEP and medical diagnosis of several disorders that account for his difficulties and that's why he gets to be evaluated for DAPE.

Have you ever heard of NACD? Would that program help Mite? The thing that piques my interest about it is all the activities are designed to be done at home rather than at a center.

Willa Gayle
    I've not heard of NACD. Didn't get anything meaningful to Mite when I googled it! What does it stand for?

I'm glad you found a local OT to work with him. He REALLY does need a school based OT as well. That's what I was trying to say in the other post. The school staff just don't get it. They don't understand that the OT is there to address medical issues that limit the child academically. The school based OT should be using the results of the SIPT to guide her treatment in the school setting. The dyspraxia and Bilateral integration skills need to be addressed in the school, most definitely. Like I said, they don't get it.

My guess is that the gym teacher is pretty untrained as an observer. While there may be a couple of kids like Mite (who DO need assessment like you say!) given his SIPT scores I would think that he looks qualitatively different from most of the kids. And regardless of how he looks, it has to do with whether he is happy and successful.

Hang in there - and let me know what NACD is!

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Hi-
    NACD, is National Association of Child Development. It was founded by Doman. People on a dyspraxia list I subscribe to claim they are seeing positive results with their kids after 2-3 months of doing what sounds like an intensive homebased OT program. It looks interesting, but I'm leary. Am I looking for a "magic pill", yes.

I might not be online much the next few days, but I'll be back when I can!!

Willa Gayle
    I checked it out. NACD is founded by Robert Doman, who is the creator of Brain Builder, co-creator of The Listening Program. I don't know exactly what they do at NACD, but I did take a workshop for The Listening Program. It is another version of auditory stimulation, like the Therapeutic Listening program that I use in therapy. The difference is just a matter of preference, I suppose.
    Robert Doman's son, Alex Doman, runs Advanced Brain Technologies, which sells and trains people in The Listening Program and other computer based/auditory interventions. But it sounds like NACD does the auditory stuff and more. Just be a wary consumer.

If anyone wants some info on the differences between the programs, let me know. Having been trained in both programs and used both programs with clients in the clinic, I have a preference for Therapeutic Listening. It is more flexible, individualized and "gentler" I think, than The Listening Program.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    thanks for the info.
    we are back and had the IEP meeting this a.m. We offered a written request for OT, 1:1 instructional aide, laptop and keyboarding instruction.

Their answer was we would discuss it in May!!!!!

sigh.

A plus was they think he will have a full grade skip in the fall. It would be into the regular class, not the gifted class. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. DH isn't sure yet either. He is becoming more active in the meetings and has taken over a LOT of the talking and is 100% on board with me!!! That's been a big turn around for him as the first of the year he was quite reticent to ask for things for Mite.

So, today had mixed blessings after a long hard weekend, emotionally.

Willa Gayle
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM