Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    sully #203004 10/08/14 06:39 PM
    E
    E
    If you're going to report the highest number achieved out of FSIQ, GAI, VCI, and PRI (those are the Davidson criteria, I think), then you have a greater chance of one of them being over a certain threshold than the chance that just the GAI will be over a certain threshold. It is also complicated by the fact that not everyone gets a GAI calculation - it is properly only added to a test report if there is a significant discrepancy in subscores, which probably means that the reported GAIs skew high. So there are probably more people entitled to run around saying, "I got 160 on my IQ test"* than you would think just on a straight normal-curve calculation.

* This should not be taken as an endorsement of bragging on IQ scores for yourself or anyone else socially.

Last edited by ElizabethN; 10/08/14 06:40 PM.
    sully #203006 10/08/14 07:43 PM
    I
    I
    I need to advocate
    It is good for parents to know how rare their child's intellectual profile may be, especially toward understanding that the teacher may not have seen a student of similar caliber. That said, some schools perform their own testing and may not accept outside testing, such as private test scores and results.

There is quite a bit of advocacy information and meeting prep information on the forum, much of it sourced from articles on the Davidson Database and resources listed there.

Here's a thread on advocacy with many resources mentioned.

Tips for meeting prep have been posted on other threads but in case it is helpful, here is a brief summary:

- Research state laws and the school or district policies and practices. This information is often found online. You may wish to print and put this in an advocacy ring binder to refer to over the years as the laws and policies/practices may change over time.
    - Have any test results and other pertinent facts available to share (milestones, reading lists, other accomplishments/achievements)
    - It is good to have them speak first. If asked to speak first, you may simply wish to thank everyone for attending and summarize that you are all here to share information and ideas about how to best meet your child's educational needs... and that you would like to hear from them.
    - Agenda
    - Know who is in the meeting, and their role(s)
    - Stay calm
    - Know what you are asking for
    - TAKE NOTES including Who-What-Where-When-Why-How of support services and/or differentiation, so you can summarize in an e-mail afterward [Some families announce they plan to record the meeting and then do so, rather than taking notes.]
    - Use active listening (rephrase what has been said, and put it in a question form) to clarify understanding
    - Be open to receiving the school's data/observations.
    - Listen to any proposals they may make, ask appropriate probing questions, such as how a proposal may work, how the proposal may help your child, the schedule/frequency of service delivery, etc
    - Do not be forced to make a decision if you need time
    - Summarize next steps & time frames, and/or need for a follow-up meeting
    - Thank everyone for their time & interest
    - After the meeting, write a summary (points of agreement, etc) and share it, possibly by e-mail

22B #203008 10/08/14 08:28 PM
    T
    T
    To put it into perspective, in the US about 400 graduating high school students a year will have a GAI that high or higher. Of course, there will also be about 400 who have FSIQ that high or higher, who are a few points lower, but harder working, etc, etc. But that gives you an idea of the numbers involved.

It's not an exact science so far from the mean, but that's a score so high that it's unlikely your child's school has ever had a similar child. Seriously. There's as much difference between your child and those who qualify for the gifted program as there is between them and the average student. IIRC, 130 IQ is about 1 in 44, and more common in higher SES/ highly educated places. For example the district I just googled has a threshold of 95% on the OLSAT, and 10% of their students qualify.

Personally, I'd join Davidson.to get help with the advocacy.
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Another factor is that it's a bit easier to get a high score if you pick your best score out of FSIQ, GAI, VCI, PRI, etc.

A couple of people asked how this is relevant. All the scores are calculated independently, not all kids have a FSIQ as far from the mean as their GAI. You could have a 50+ point spread between the lowest and highest of the scores. The set of people with PCI over 145 overlaps but is not the same as the set of people with 145+ IQ or the set of people with 145+ GAI, etc. 22B is trying to reassure you. It's not quite as dire a situation as the rarity of that one score suggests.

Aeh can probably explain it better and more correctly, but this is my understanding.

Last edited by Tallulah; 10/08/14 08:38 PM.
    sully #203030 10/09/14 08:43 AM
    T
    T
    In an ideal world, yes. In reality it means that your kid is insanely, crazily, impossibly smart, but no teachers will see him that way because he's not fast. I'm sorry, but it's going to make both advocacy and accommodating him orders of magnitude more difficult.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I am trying to be realistic. I have a child like this, I have friends with children like this and it's incredibly difficult to find the right teaching fit for them. People see speed. If they don't see speed, they will discount every test under the sun. No matter what evidence you have, they'll stick to the fact that he's not the first person to finish his math problems, and for them that will prove that he's far from being the smartest kid in the class. This is how humans work. They'll think you're a crazy hothousing delusional obsessive. I strongly urge you to apply for Davidson to get help with this.

sully #203033 10/09/14 08:46 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by sully
    Makes sense. The GAI is skewed high for my child because processing brought the FSIQ down to 147 (minimum - hit four subtest ceilings). That would make the scores far more common, right?

More common but still unusual smile

FWIW, my understanding is that when there is a greater than 1.5 SD difference between subtest scores, the FSIQ is not valid, so I wouldn't use it to describe my child's abilities. I have a 2e kid with a large spread between subtest scores - so we use the GAI when we are trying to frame his intellectual strengths. That's not saying we ignore the other subtest scores, but his lower FSIQ score is more of an average that lies somewhere between the high GAI and the lower processing speed/wm… hence it's more like a meaningless number - it doesn't tell you much of anything at all about ds, other than what would happen perhaps if you averaged a numerical representation of his strengths and not-quite-as-strong abilities.

I suppose that some would then counter with - well, isn't that what FSIQ is for everybody, but from my understanding, most people do not have those huge discrepancies in between FSIQ subtest scores, so averaging subtests for the typical person is valid.

And I realize I used "averaging" in a broad sense here, because FSIQ isn't a straight average, I think it's weighted a bit between subtests.

polarbear

Tallulah #203034 10/09/14 08:49 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    To put it into perspective, in the US about 400 graduating high school students a year will have a GAI that high or higher.

Another point to consider, what is the subset within that 400 that have the same specific combination of strengths that your child has? Or with the same magnitude of discrepancy when looking at PSI/WM?

polarbear

sully #203036 10/09/14 09:06 AM
    B
    B
    Don't know if it's of help but have you seen the following. There is a chart there that gives some idea how to interpret the GAI.

http://images.pearsonclinical.com/images/assets/WISC-IV/80720_WISCIV_Hr_r4.pdf

sully #203037 10/09/14 09:08 AM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by sully
    How is that a factor? I am not looking for anything other than gaining more information from you folks. Maybe I am misunderstanding your post?
    Just think of a Venn diagram.

sully #203039 10/09/14 09:30 AM
    L
    L
    sully, I am sending you a PM.

ElizabethN #230195 05/04/16 10:30 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Another factor is that it's a bit easier to get a high score if you pick your best score out of FSIQ, GAI, VCI, PRI, etc.
    and
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    If you're going to report the highest number achieved out of FSIQ, GAI, VCI, and PRI (those are the Davidson criteria, I think), then you have a greater chance of one of them being over a certain threshold than the chance that just the GAI will be over a certain threshold. It is also complicated by the fact that not everyone gets a GAI calculation - it is properly only added to a test report if there is a significant discrepancy in subscores, which probably means that the reported GAIs skew high. So there are probably more people entitled to run around saying, "I got 160 on my IQ test"* than you would think just on a straight normal-curve calculation.

* This should not be taken as an endorsement of bragging on IQ scores for yourself or anyone else socially.
    Agreed. This may skew high. Some may say this entails a bit of cherry-picking through the child's scores to present the highest scores, which may not be the most representative. I'm linking to a related post, How much error can there be in test scores?

While some may prefer the GAI as they believe it to be more descriptive of a child's intellectual ability, a child's Working Memory and Processing Speed (whose scores are more apparent in the FSIQ) may greatly impact the child's daily classroom performance and achievement.

Linking to an old thread, FSIQ vs GAI.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM