Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    alicat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    DD (8) will be given the WISC V through school as part of additional testing for gifted programs. Do you have any links or basic information on the test (e.g., # questions, average duration). I am not concerned about actual questions, but rather testing strategies or approaches.

Also, how close were these results to COGAT for your child?

Last edited by alicat; 05/13/16 10:17 AM.
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by alicat
    DD (8) will be given the WISC V through school as part of additional testing for gifted programs. Do you have any links or basic information on the test (e.g., # questions, average duration). I am not concerned about actual questions, but rather testing strategies or approaches.

I believe the number of questions depends on how many they get right before reaching the discontinuation criteria, and duration as well, depends on how they do and which sub-tests the tester deems necessary.

Originally Posted by alicat
    Also, how close were these results to COGAT for your child? She basically hit the ceiling on the COGAT and wondering if her WISC will be directionally as high...

You may find the discussions in the archives on this test helpful. Some children seem to score higher on their WISC (or other ability tests) than their CogAT (even by a lot), others score lower. My DS scored very high on CogAT, while not as high on the WISC V (still in top 1%), which I found a little surprising.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    # of questions depends on the age of the child, the number answered correctly, the number in a row answered incorrectly, the subtest. Sometimes examiners give extra ones, for additional clinical information. It's not worth trying to figure this part out.

The duration of the test is usually between 45 minutes and an hour and a half. High-cognitive children may take longer, as they usually see more items. OTOH, some of them finish quickly, as they may be more efficient with their responses. Duration may also vary depending on how many optional subtests are administered, which depends on the referral question, and sometimes on in-test performance (if a subtest is spoiled, or the examiner wants more information on a domain).

Some of it is timed, and some of it isn't. Being thoughtful is probably more important than being super fast, but no need to bog down with tiny details, either. Much of it is like puzzles or riddles, not so much like school. Really, though, I would avoid giving any advice on testing approaches.

Mainly, get a good night's sleep, eat a balanced breakfast in the morning, and enjoy the process. This is not the kind of test that should involve prepared testing strategies, as the objective is to learn what the child's natural cognitive strategies and styles are. The examiner is likely to spend some time at the beginning helping her get comfortable with the setting. Like any other new situation, if she has questions, she should ask them, and if the rules allow the examiner to answer them, they probably will.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    It doesn't sound like yours is the type to get extremely anxious or goofy, but there is one suggestion I've seen that I wish I had known to tell my own kids. The questions will usually start much too easy for them, and then get progressively harder until they are aimed at kids much older than them. I think knowing this in advance can help some kids recognize not to start messing around when the questions seem foolishly easy, or freaking out when they get impossibly hard.

As aeh notes, kids seem to find the WISC quite fun.

A
    A
    Before the WISC test, I just told DS7 (6 at the time of the test) that he was going to see a doctor and he was going to do some puzzles with him. He loves word, picture and number puzzles so he did not get in the test stressed or nervous. This also avoided us telling him he was taking an IQ test. He had a lot of fun and came out of the test all happy. I did ask to have the test done in the morning. He tends to get tired in the afternoon and his brain doesn't really work when he's sleepy :-)

Oh, just to add, there was no preparation for the test at all. Before the test, I searched online to see what the test was about and found some website offering practice questions. I asked the psych if we should prepare for it and he said no. There is no preparation needed.

Last edited by ajinlove; 05/04/16 08:43 AM.
    A
    alicat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks all...this helps.

We are not planning on doing any review of questions...as I just want an accurate reflection of her abilities and she usually does fine. My only hope is that her scores are an accurate reflection of her abilities (neither too high nor too low).

Her biggest challenge will be with time. I will coach her to just use a good pace (neither too slow nor too fast) and make sure to get the easy questions right. She usually has fun with these types of tests. I think she will also like that it is one on one.

Also, I am going to work to make sure she is fed well and fully rested in the next couple of weeks:)

Last edited by alicat; 05/04/16 09:04 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM