Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    The paper is here in PDF format. We should try to increase overall educational achievement, even if it does not close gaps.

The Rhetoric and Reality of Gap Closing
    When the “Have-Nots” Gain but the “Haves” Gain Even More
    Stephen J. Ceci and Paul B. Papierno
    Cornell University

Many forms of intervention, across different domains, have the surprising effect of widening preexisting gaps between disadvantaged youth and their advantaged counterparts—if such interventions are made available to all students, not just to the disadvantaged. Whether this widening of gaps is incongruent with American interests and values requires an awareness of this gap-widening potential when interventions are universalized and a national policy that addresses the psychological, political, economic, and moral dimensions of elevating the top students—tomorrow’s business and science leaders—and/or elevating the bottom students to redress past inequalities and reduce the future costs associated with them. This article is a first step in bringing this dilemma to the attention of scholars and policymakers and prodding a national discussion. …

It turns out, however, that when these gap-narrowing interventions are universalized— given not only to the group of children who most need assistance but also to the more advantaged group (regardless of whether the latter is identified as White, rich, high ability, etc.), a surprising and unanticipated consequence sometimes occurs: The preintervention gap between the disadvantaged group and the advantaged group is actually widened as a consequence of making the intervention universally available. This is because, as we will show, although the disadvantaged children who most need the intervention do usually gain significantly from it, the higher functioning or more advantaged children occasionally benefit even more from the intervention. The result is increased disparity and a widening of the gap that existed prior to universalizing the intervention. This has led a prominent intervention researcher to bemoan the major drawback of universalization that “makes nice children even nicer but has a negligible effect on those children at greatest risk” (Offord, 1996, p. 338).

P
    P
    Didn't read the article in its entirety. But the dilemma/paradox might not be there if the focus is on equal opportunities, instead of equal outcomes.

Val Offline
    The reality is that there will always be a gap in any kind of human endeavor. Some people are better at math, some people are stronger, some people are born to be musicians, while others are tone deaf. Etc. etc. This fact makes closing gaps unrealistic at best and damaging at worst.

I'm with playandlearn about equal opportunities. I'd also throw in that some minimum basic guarantees in this society would make the gap less of an issue. If everyone had a right to earn a living wage in a job, that would help. A lot. So would having a right to housing, medical care,* and education (well, the public schools address that last one to a large degree, but the price of college right now is ridiculous).

By this, I mean, "medical care that is not prohibitively expensive for anyone."

A
    A
    *Sigh* how about helping people be the best they can be? No matter where they end up, their better than they were before. Do you get what I mean?

E
    E
    I agree with those comments above mine. There will always be a gap even if everyone is nourished to full potential because all humans poses varying strengths and weaknesses. It reminds in some way of "No Child Left Behind". As a psychologist once told me we will never have every child score perfectly on everything because IQ varies so much. We can either lower the standards to the point anyone can pass or live with this gap. Personally, I say throw out standards altogether and nourish individual strengths. One size fits all fits no one, and neither does a standard around it.

Last edited by Edward; 05/03/16 08:04 PM.
    A
    A
    So true

E
    E
    Originally Posted by AnnieQuill
    So true

Thanks you smile But I wish I were more humble (not so right lol). Adults often do not see how profound their actions are to those who are younger then them. Education is perhaps the best example of this.

A
    A
    I am virtually hugging you right now because nobody around here says that. The adults up top are being dumb, and no one will call them on it. It's infuriating.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by AnnieQuill
    I am virtually hugging you right now because nobody around here says that. The adults up top are being dumb, and no one will call them on it. It's infuriating.

Virtual hugs back. smile

I hate to say it but I understand. Those making the rules are clueless to be blunt. The harm they do is so great (and apparent is one truly looks), but no one sees it because they are the byproduct of the same system which teaches them not to question authority and to be apathetic. At least it seems that way to me.

I am sorry you people are not listening to you, you deserve to be heard. There is no greater expert in education than the student him or herself.

A
    A
    Exactly. But 'your just a kid, stay out of it' is the attitude around here. I give a big ole razzbery to that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM